Plateaux Rustication

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
The Smoking Yeti

Plateaux Rustication

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I decided to try mimicking natural plateaux with a rustication technique. The one thing I can think of to make it better, would be a light detail blast over top the texturing.

Watcha guys think?

My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wisemanpipes

Re: Plateaux Rustication

Post by wisemanpipes »

yeti: 2 things

1. that grain is pretty sweet and looks like a nice pipe in the making.
2. that plateaux rustication is unreal. literally though, no one can fake natures beauty, just like faux sandblasting, but you have done a pretty damn good job at making it look similar.
congrats on such a close looking plateaux top!

evan

ps. the blast would add an extra layer of texture that would put it over the top. make sure to use a sharp media not to round the peaks.
rijks

Post by rijks »

Yeti, I definitely like your work ;)
It's a pretty good idea and the result is good.
I look forward to see the final piece...

Best regards,
Patrick Rijks
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I can't see the image... I want to see the image :evil:
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

That looks pretty sweet! :thumbsup:

However, full disclosure please!!! I think if I bought this pipe thinking that it was natural plateaux, then found out later that it wasn't, I'd be pretty sour!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Pretty cool. I think I like the shank the most. Make sure to show some completed pipe pics!
the rev

Post by the rev »

no offense but I think you did a pretty good job of something that I don't want done :)

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Great job but I have to agree with Walt here. When I visited Mimmo's shop with Paul a couple of years back he showed us a superb rustication which like this with a light sandlbast was almost identical to plateau. I thought about having a go since but what put me off is that it isn't plateau and the natural beauty and difficulty of orientation etc are what make a plateau topped pipe so special, to me it would almost be like painting on straight grain. So by all means carry on, it looks superb but make sure you tell the buyer that the top is rusticated and save yourself some potential heat.
DMI

Post by DMI »

Strange but true:

Brebbia bought a load of pipes from China during the late 40's and 50's and employed people to paint the grain on, some of the most famous were carved as young ladies :shock:

David.
The Smoking Yeti

caskwith wrote:Great job but I have to agree with Walt here. When I visited Mimmo's shop with Paul a couple of years back he showed us a superb rustication which like this with a light sandlbast was almost identical to plateau. I thought about having a go since but what put me off is that it isn't plateau and the natural beauty and difficulty of orientation etc are what make a plateau topped pipe so special, to me it would almost be like painting on straight grain. So by all means carry on, it looks superb but make sure you tell the buyer that the top is rusticated and save yourself some potential heat.
By all means Chris, I wasn't gonna lie and say it was Plateau. The customer I'm making this for knows its a rustication and likes it.

I can understand what you mean about plateau and the difficulty of orientation- I wont ever be doing this without full disclosure, cus you're right, that could upset people.

AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

I really like the technique myself. I think the way you carried it over to the shank extension is really cool. That should help alleviate any confusion as to whether it's real or memorex. You're developing a really unique and beautiful style in all the pipes I've seen of yours that just says Smoking Yeti. If you aren't already an established pipe maker with a backlog of orders, hang in there, it won't be long. Your craftsmanship skills are superb. Can I be your online apprentice?
Wallace
The Smoking Yeti

AlfaDog wrote:I really like the technique myself. I think the way you carried it over to the shank extension is really cool. That should help alleviate any confusion as to whether it's real or memorex. You're developing a really unique and beautiful style in all the pipes I've seen of yours that just says Smoking Yeti. If you aren't already an established pipe maker with a backlog of orders, hang in there, it won't be long. Your craftsmanship skills are superb. Can I be your online apprentice?
Wallace
Wallace, thank you for the kind words :D

In all honesty I'd say we're all online apprentices to this forum. The knowledge and experience here is amazing!

AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Yeti -
May I suggest you do an instructional thread on pipe photography? Your photos are always amazing and I would love to learn how you accomplish this time after time.
Wallace
Kirk Fitzgerald

Post by Kirk Fitzgerald »

That is fantastic Yeti, I would love to know how to do that to a couple of my own Pipes, would ever consider sharing your technique please.
Keep Calm And Smoke A Pipe!
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

another arrow for your talented quiver.Sometimes people want you to do this to thier pipes and you are more than ready. Good Job.
The Smoking Yeti

pipedreamer wrote:another arrow for your talented quiver.Sometimes people want you to do this to thier pipes and you are more than ready. Good Job.
Yeah, the only times I will do this, is if they specifically request, and if I do, I make sure it is stated that the plateaux is fake.

Kirk- it's pretty simple really, I use a small dremel burr, something round, and I just shape.

The easiest way to do it is to start with a larger ball burr, and create rough contours of plateaux- knobs, dishes, etc- study plateaux for inspiration. Then you come back and clean things up with the smaller round tool- remove cut marks etc, round it, make it ridge-ish like plateaux naturally is.

Be sure people know it is carved though- otherwise it can be deceptive.

Cheers!

Yeti

Kirk Fitzgerald

Post by Kirk Fitzgerald »

Thanks for the info Yeti, adding Dremel to the list, crikey my list is huge, no worries about disclosure, I'm only interested in doing to pipes of my own mate. :)
Keep Calm And Smoke A Pipe!
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Now you've done it! You put a Dremel in the hands of a mad man!
There should be some sort of disclaimer here. :banghead:
rdpipes.briar.club
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

That's going to be a beauty when it's done. The cap on the shank is an especially nice touch that I almost missed due to the dark background. You are going to show us the final result aren't you? It would be a terrible tease otherwise.

As long as the buyer's know it's a rustication and not actual plateaux I don't see a problem.

Please don't get me wrong here, I like working with wood too and I love the beautiful patterns of grain found in briar including the plateaux. This is just a thought I have. People like to talk about the natural beauty of wood but when you think about it, it's only natural until we get our hands on it. How natural is a perfectly sanded wood surface that is then waxed and polished to a high degree even if no other stains or finishes are used?
Rodney
WoodTurningGR

Post by WoodTurningGR »

Cool! Very closed to original!
Greek pipe maker
http://www.kg-pipes.gr