BLASTING

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
wisemanpipes

BLASTING

Post by wisemanpipes »

so, i dont have all the components of a blast setup completely. i have a nice used 80 gallon compressor and dustcollection in the shop. ive never blasted a whole pipe before. i have a moderately sized freehand horn that has some sick ring grain and i want to blast the shit out of it. the stummels about 4 inches long. how long would it take to get it nice and craggy. APPROX of course. assuming i dont stop to stain inbetween media grits.
thanks
evan
Sasquatch

Re: BLASTING

Post by Sasquatch »

18 minutes, 12 seconds.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

i thought it was in that ballpark todd, THANKS
..sarcasti..muthmh :x ..fujg...hmemgm..... :x

seriously though is it like under an hour, 1-3 hours, 4+
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, if you use walnut shells, it'll take about six weeks. If you use 80 grit Al/ox it'll take about 3 minutes but you won't have any pipe left.

Somewhere between there is your reality. Cooke takes days to achieve his textures. With the wrong media or a poor gun, you may not be ABLE to get a craggy blast. Blasting is really, really surprising. Sometimes you think "wow this will be sweet" and it's a piece of crap, other times, you get the best most detailed blast out of a piece that you think is junk.

There's no single answer here. Your question does not compute.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

thanks todd,
thought i was throwing this into a very grey zone. i understand that there are lots of variables to blasting i just thought there might be a certain length that most people take to accomplish their blast. i appreciate you saying it like it is. i really would love if the blast came out amazing, since the ring grain in the wood is so pronounced. oh and sorry mr. roboto didnt mean to short the system :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Garbage in, garbage out. 1st law of computing.

In my case, anything in, garbage out. It's a little more encompassing.