different grit, different staining results?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
birba

different grit, different staining results?

Post by birba »

I used a lathe for the first time today, got carried away and sanded the top of the bowl with up to 600 grit paper...it's so fast and easy..loved it
Now, when I finish the rest of the pipe, should I get my 600 paper all over the pipe first before I stain or does it make no difference if the shank is a little rougher?
Gershom

Re: different grit, different staining results?

Post by Gershom »

The stain won't absorb well into the 600. It sort of floats on the surface. It will look different from the rest of the pipe. You're gonna have to take it back down to 300 or 400, then stain all of it at the same grit(s). Or you could just go al-natural. Your choice. :)

Jon
birba

Post by birba »

makes sense, thanks!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

The stain won't absorb well into the 600. It sort of floats on the surface.
I've read this several times on the forum, and I don't know why people believe this. I've never applied any stain before 600 grit on a smooth pipe. I sand to 600 all over before staining, and it's always absorbed just fine for me and gives me the depth and color I want whether dark, light or contrast.

Rad
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I used to start the staining process at 200 grit and restrain between 320 400 500 and 600. I have recently started applying stain at 500 and then if necessary a second color at 600. While this hasn't made a huge difference in the final product, besides making the distinction between the two colors more pronounced, it has cut the amount of sanding time between grits In half, as well as keeping the reanimated stain from making my hands permanently brown. Although it is a little harder to determine if you have removed all scratches from the previous grit.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Well, if you believe your stain is not going to get absorbed, just wet the block and dry it with a hot gun.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I was just saying that because I have heard it before on the forum as well... But if Rad says it, I'd listen to him. In fact, I am going to listen to him. Why the hell wouldn't I? Sounds like it makes it easier. I'll have to try it...

But this still doesn't address the question of whether or not the difference in roughness will be apparent... Rad?

I say it will, but we'll have to find out...
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

A lower grit will definitely absorb stain differently (darker). This is why any scratches from previous grits are so pronounced when stain is applied. The places you missed while sanding will tell on you. :)

Rad
the rev

Post by the rev »

it is possible to go too high as to burnish the wood and make it very stain repellent. In my experience 600 is fine, you "can" get in trouble over that, but I imagine using some tack cloth it might still be ok. Atleast in the woods I use at work, never really took briar up that high. But at work we never sand over 600 before applying stain or oil. Then we will use higher grits or even steel wool when finishing

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

the rev wrote:it is possible to go too high as to burnish the wood and make it very stain repellent. In my experience 600 is fine, you "can" get in trouble over that, but I imagine using some tack cloth it might still be ok. Atleast in the woods I use at work, never really took briar up that high. But at work we never sand over 600 before applying stain or oil. Then we will use higher grits or even steel wool when finishing

rev
Yeah, but that's for furniture and cabinets and such. Briar is a totally different animal. :wink:

Rad
the rev

Post by the rev »

So you can sand all the up to 2000 and not have staining problems? I believe you, just wondering

rev

RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

the rev wrote:So you can sand all the up to 2000 and not have staining problems? I believe you, just wondering

rev
I have no idea. I've never sanded past 1000, but I've had no problem staining at 1000.

Rad
the rev

Post by the rev »

good to know, thanks

do you use tack cloth or some other method to make sure the briar isn't burnished? or does that just not happen?

rev

RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I use nothing but sandpaper.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

"Burnished" is really a situation where pores on a "normal" wood get sort of closed off and a "normal" oil or water based stain won't penetrate and color deeply. Pine stains VERY differently sanded at 320 vs sanded at 600 for example. Briar.... a lot less so because we are staining with a different carrier and looking for a different effect.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!