Wax Problem

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Chadd

Wax Problem

Post by Chadd »

Hopefully someone can help me out. I've got 3 dedicated smokers that I've made and on all three of them, the wax is coming off around the stummel. Two of them have farily thin walls and they tend to smoke a bit hot, but the other is a very mild smoker and it's pretty much deviod of any wax.

My finishing technique has been, after 600 grit, I polish with brown tripoli, then I wax with some yellow carnuba(usually no more than 5 minutes spent buildingup the wax), then finally a flannel buff. I saw a thread where it was suggested that one should remove any buffing compund with some alcohol before waxing, and I have NOT been doing that, so that might be a place to start. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Chadd
bscofield

Re: Wax Problem

Post by bscofield »

Chadd wrote:Hopefully someone can help me out. I've got 3 dedicated smokers that I've made and on all three of them, the wax is coming off around the stummel. Two of them have farily thin walls and they tend to smoke a bit hot, but the other is a very mild smoker and it's pretty much deviod of any wax.

My finishing technique has been, after 600 grit, I polish with brown tripoli, then I wax with some yellow carnuba(usually no more than 5 minutes spent buildingup the wax), then finally a flannel buff. I saw a thread where it was suggested that one should remove any buffing compund with some alcohol before waxing, and I have NOT been doing that, so that might be a place to start. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Chadd
The only difference I see right off the bat is that you are not using and white compound prior to putting on the carnuba. I'm not sure exactly what it does but I know it prepares the surface for the carnuba.

How long is a pipe supposed to retain it's shine for? Do I read this correctly in saying it loses it's shine? Or are you saying that carnuba literaly flakes off?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Chadd,

Are you loading up a lot of wax on the buff? It is my understanding and experience that you do not want to have too much wax on the buff and therefore on your pipe. I usually polish with red tripoli, white diamond, clean buff, carnuba and then clean buff again.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Ok, it doesn't flake off, but it's visibly missing...ie flat and dull with little spots of gloss. I guess I need to get some white diamond compound and start over on these.

Thank you both.

Chadd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Chadd wrote:Ok, it doesn't flake off, but it's visibly missing...ie flat and dull with little spots of gloss. I guess I need to get some white diamond compound and start over on these.

Thank you both.

Chadd
I've noticed this "spotty" gloss on one of my own smokers. I had attributed this to a place where heat was more readily being transmitted through the wood. JMO, not sure if it's true or not.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Some areas of the briar are more absorbant than others. I do not know this for certain, but I suspect that it is possible for the briar to actually absorb a bit of wax. I suspect that this absorbtion would be non-uniform.
marks

Post by marks »

Tyler, I agree with you, and I also think that some of the carnuba will evaporate or rub off of the pipe as it is smoked and handled. Carnuba does need to be reapplied from time to time.
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

yes the carnuba will rub off and will also burn off becasue of the heat. i have seen it many times on the pipes of mine that i smoke. it is natural for it to do that. thats why some use a spit coat of shellac on thier pipes. it tends to not come off when heated or handled as much.
I just rewax it or use some briar pipe wipe. thats why they sell a ton of it, people dont usually have a wax wheel in their house or garage.
Also yes you need to get some white compound to further buff the pipe after using tripoli. just make sure and wipe the pipe off after the tipoli so you dont get any on the white buff. dont use alcohol it will take the stain off the pipe if your not careful. some may use alcohol but i never have.