Masking the rim for sandblasting?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Growley

Re: Masking the rim for sandblasting?

Post by Growley »

I've masked several rims. Most of my rims are curved inward or have some sort of movement to them, so while I think turned wooden plug is a really cool idea, it wouldn't work for me. I use extra thick electrical tape, tape all the way across leaving some excess all the way around the rim. Lay each piece of tape side by side, and then tape again over the "gap". Then I carefully cut away the extra tape all the way around the outside. When I'm blasting I take extra precaution to hold the section of tape down where I'm currently blasting. I've had great results with this.

Keep in kind, great results for me might look like crap for someone else who really knows what they're doing.
socrates

Post by socrates »

I have used resist for glass etching. It comes in sheets (the type I used). Worked great but was not flexible enough for compound curves. Has anyone used liquid masking? It gets brushed on, let dry and when finished just peel off. Just a thought!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Generally I don't pay a huge amount of attention to masking the rim, at the end of the day you are going to have to do some sanding anyway. Electrical tape and avoidance is the best and easiest way followed by some sanding.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Like Chris said, no need to mask it off.