coal slag

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
pipeguy

coal slag

Post by pipeguy »

Has anyone ever tried coal slag (black beauty) tm. I saw a sample today was wondering if anyone has ever tried it
thanx :?:
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Nate

Re: coal slag

Post by Nate »

pipeguy wrote:Has anyone ever tried coal slag (black beauty) tm. I saw a sample today was wondering if anyone has ever tried it
thanx :?:
I assume you mean for blasting? I'm not an expert, but I believe that would pretty much destroy the briar. It is far too coarse. Similar to someone posting recently about have a buddy with a blast setup with 300psi and 2500 cfm. You won't have anything left except a pile of briar dust.

That said, maybe one of the pros on here have more insight.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

Nate wrote:[
hate to say it Nate, but it looks like you're one of 'em
Nate

Post by Nate »

wisemanpipes wrote:
Nate wrote:[
hate to say it Nate, but it looks like you're one of 'em
I claim nothing. Even a blind squirrel finds a titanium nut once and awhile :D
Nate

Post by Nate »

Pipeguy, if you ever do try it I'd love to hear the results. I would recommend starting at a very low pressure. And I'd start on a broken pipe or something of the like. Don't waste anything good, as likely it will be pretty aggressive.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I wouldn't waste my time on that, Bob. It's way too coarse. I tried ground glass once.

Rad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Nate wrote:
pipeguy wrote: Similar to someone posting recently about have a buddy with a blast setup with 300psi and 2500 cfm. You won't have anything left except a pile of briar dust.
That was me. He doesn't max the thing out, of course, he just likes not being limited by the machinery or having to wait for pressure all the time. No idea what he actually uses. I'll have to ask. (Now, I'm curious)

I've seen the blasts he does with it. They are truly outstanding. Neither overly sharp & edgy nor shallow/Euro/weathered looking. Very much like Dunhill's best Shell output in the 30's, or what Michael Lindner does today when in a vintage/classic mood.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Just got off the phone with him. He doesn't remember the settings, other than the psi wasn't where the magic lived, but rather the cfm; and the total time needed for a great result was about three minutes.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Nate

Post by Nate »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Nate wrote:
pipeguy wrote: Similar to someone posting recently about have a buddy with a blast setup with 300psi and 2500 cfm. You won't have anything left except a pile of briar dust.
That was me. He doesn't max the thing out, of course, he just likes not being limited by the machinery or having to wait for pressure all the time. No idea what he actually uses. I'll have to ask. (Now, I'm curious)

I've seen the blasts he does with it. They are truly outstanding. Neither overly sharp & edgy nor shallow/Euro/weathered looking. Very much like Dunhill's best Shell output in the 30's, or what Michael Lindner does today when in a vintage/classic mood.
Very cool! That would scare the hell out of me! I blast at a higher psi than most guys I know and it doesn't even approach 300 :D

Heh, pipe blasted in 1.3 minutes! :D
Nate

Post by Nate »

LatakiaLover wrote:Just got off the phone with him. He doesn't remember the settings, other than the psi wasn't where the magic lived, but rather the cfm; and the total time needed for a great result was about three minutes.
Ahh, nice. I also have focused on CFM. As you noted, that's where it's at! :)
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

What about glass beads?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

pipedreamer wrote:What about glass beads?
That's what most everybody uses.

Rad