Sanding fine details

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
magruder

Sanding fine details

Post by magruder »

OK.........
So how do guys like Rasmussen sand those fine channels that run around the edges of their pipes? I maen those fairly deep grooves that are super smooth and very even and symmetrical.
Tyler, Todd, Brian, Trevor, et al, what can you tell me please?
TIA
Magruder
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'm not positive I understand what you are asking, but I think you are asking about how to do a groove like on this pipe of mine:

The way I did that one is to carve the groove with a cutting burr in the Dremel, then sand and poolish as normal, add extra patience. There are probably better ways, and if I recall correctly, Kent's grooves are typically more subtle that that one on mine. I hope this is still of some help.

That what you were asking?

Tyler
magruder

Post by magruder »

Hi Tyler,
Thanx for responding so fast.
That is what I am talking about and yes, Kents' grooves seem a bit deeper and more defined. I guess I need more practice w/the Dremel. It is difficult to get an even smooth channel or groove that can be sanded and polished to good smoothness. Perhaps I am trying to make too deep a cut. I was hoping to get a "U" shaped channel or groove - but now that I look @ Kents' pipes and others that have this treatment, I see the grooves are shallower than I am attempting to use. That makes it much easier to get in and sand out uneveness. Know any neat tricks to sand in tight spots where curved surfaces are involved? It seems like an abrasive Q-tip would be ideal, as it would conform to the channel. Anyone have a 600 grit Q-tip source? :wink:
magruder

Post by magruder »

BTW- that is a very nice looking pipe.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Hi random,

Thanx for your response. I think I understand the fundamental progression of tool usage, though I claim no long experience with any of them.

I've made/used sanding sticks. What I want is something that can conform to the groove. Wood and metal will not deform/conform, N'est pas?

I am experimenting with sanding sticks made from high density foam and very stiff sponges for the backing material.

BTW- that Cutty of late was a pretty good looking pipe. I liked the lines.

Magruder
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I know that Rolando uses some sort of soft rubber rods for wrapping sand paper around. Crosby can perhaps provide more details, but Rolando apparently gets them from a shoe manufacturing company.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Thanx Tyler. that is the sort of thing I am thinking about.
Caio
magruder

Post by magruder »

Random,
That's an interesting statement.
So, do you think you could use a solid wooden or metal tool to evenly sand a groove smooth given a groove that curves pretty much like a French curve and is a "U" shaped channel that is consistently 3.5 mm in depth and width?
Oh, and it is partially wrapped around the surface of the back of the bowl on a full bent pipe - so not much clearance.
I've looked at your site and seen some nice work with curves, so how would you tackle this one?
I'm really looking for very smooth, consistent grooves.
Thanx,
M.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Hi Random,

I am making the tools I need for this job. I think your ideas have merit.
I was thinking along just those lines.
Having a pre-made, general tool for this type of work would be, I think, useful. Something that will fit numerous applications vs. a special tool for each go round.

I find sometimes I tend to reinvent the wheel, if I don't try to see what's out there first.

I'll definetly post photos if the work turns out well.

Thanx,
M.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

You can use lots of materials to make conformable sanding blocks. Hard styrofoam, for instance. The one thing to keep in mind is accessibility of detail to the buffing wheel. I've made several pipes that seemed like good ideas at the time but were impossible to buff.