help about pipe stain

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: help about pipe stain

Post by baweaverpipes »

This is what happened to Rod Davies when he used orange:
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:
BobR wrote:
Anyone here use orange?
I did once. Ernie didn't like it.

Rad
I'm thrilled you remember that. :|
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

e Markle wrote:
RadDavis wrote:
BobR wrote:
Anyone here use orange?
I did once. Ernie didn't like it.

Rad
I'm thrilled you remember that. :|
I remember every asshole that returns a pipe. You're in my book. :lol:

Rad
Alden

Post by Alden »

:lol:
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

d.huber wrote:
wisemanpipes wrote:using a buffing wheel is just inaccurate to create high contrast...
Sorry Evan, but this is inaccurate. I do all my contrast stains this way.
you know david, after I posted this I remembered that Eltang does his golden contrast with buffing back the black (or at least so ive seen in videos).

my previous comment was therefore inaccurate, but I guess my experience with using buffing to get good contrast was unsuccessful.

I have used a buffing wheel to do contrasts no doubt, but often didn't end up how I would have liked and often have muddled colours.

I prefer hand sanding and alcohol washes because it allows me to have the same high contrast through out the pipe and let me work slow.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wisemanpipes wrote:
d.huber wrote:
wisemanpipes wrote:using a buffing wheel is just inaccurate to create high contrast...
Sorry Evan, but this is inaccurate. I do all my contrast stains this way.
you know david, after I posted this I remembered that Eltang does his golden contrast with buffing back the black (or at least so ive seen in videos).

my previous comment was therefore inaccurate, but I guess my experience with using buffing to get good contrast was unsuccessful.

I have used a buffing wheel to do contrasts no doubt, but often didn't end up how I would have liked and often have muddled colours.

I prefer hand sanding and alcohol washes because it allows me to have the same high contrast through out the pipe and let me work slow.
Ain't nothin' wrong with that either. This is another scenario where whatever works for you is what's best to do.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
pipesmoker70

Post by pipesmoker70 »

I stained one almost like this one. I sanded to 1000 grit then coated the pipe with Fibings yellow a few times. Sanded with 800 and 1000. the diluted Fiebigs Mohagony a bit and applied 2 light coates. then used denatured alchol on a rag and wiped the pipe and sanded again with 800 and 1000. the yellow popped very nice. waxed and buffed and sold the next day.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I've done a similar stain using orange as the base then sanding and using yellow as a top coat. I used to buff with red tripoli for to remove my contrast stain. I switched to hand sanding mostly because of the types of stain I use now. I use a alcohol based contrast stain followed by a water based stain. The water based stain doesn't cut through the tripoli grease. I prefer the water based stain over the alcohol because you don't get nearly as much bleeding of the stain. Here's the result of the pipe I did:

The photo is a bit dark. The actual color is much lighter like the OP pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thats purty