Cyclone blast cabinet PSI question

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
billiard

Cyclone blast cabinet PSI question

Post by billiard »

Is the 100psi max warning, in the instructions for the cyclone blast cabinets (e500 specifically), a true number or is it something we can fudge a little? If so what's top end? 110, 125, etc? Obviously I want to stay safe but the results got better with more PSI so I want to keep going past the 100 I stopped at.

Not for a critique (wrong forum) but for illustration here is my first blast (a nose warmer):

I used the nozzle that came with the cabinet for the above but for my next one I'd like to be craggier and I am going to try a smaller nozzle. I'll use the smaller nozzle while staying at 100 for a go, on some yard sale pipe, but can I crank the PSI a little more too?

Thanks all,
Bill
wdteipen

Re: Cyclone blast cabinet PSI question

Post by wdteipen »

Nice pipe. I don't have the Cyclone cabinet but I know guys that do that blast at 120 psi. Hopefully some of them will chime in.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

I blast at pretty high psi, varies from 100-130 depending on what I'm doing. No problems here. E-100 cabinet.
Nice work!

andrew
andrew

Post by andrew »

If you are using glass bead, go ahead and experiment with the psi. Everyone's setup will yield different results, so go for it!

andrew
billiard

Post by billiard »

Fast, quick, accurate answers, you guys rock - thanks!

I wanted to get one pipe done, so I could say I have done it, but now with your feedback I am going to go to town. So all my shop pipes and the $1 garage sale ones are gonna get blasted and we will see in a few weeks how the next new pipe comes out.

Thanks again,
Bill
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Usually the limits on those type of things are like 300% of the posted safety zone. That's not to say that you can do as you please, but 105 psi is functionally very little different than 100.

Now, things happen fast at these pressures, have a look at your system and if there are things you think maybe won't take it - plastic hoses without much reinforcement etc, replace them with a larger version....

I ramped up to 140 the other day on mine and got a really nice result.

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks Todd,

I'm rated at 175 from the tank to the blasting cabinet so that's really good info as I feel comfortable cranking it up and seeing what happens. From what I have seen with my set up I got a hunch ~120, and one size smaller of a nozzle, is going to be the sweet spot, but only having a couple goes will tell.

:)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah go to your smallest nozzle and see what happens.

Also if you only have glass in there, while it's new (sharp) it will cut but that will slowly fade, so you might want to add some other media for punch.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Perfect, thanks again!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Sasquatch wrote:Usually the limits on those type of things are like 300% of the posted safety zone. That's not to say that you can do as you please, but 105 psi is functionally very little different than 100.

Now, things happen fast at these pressures, have a look at your system and if there are things you think maybe won't take it - plastic hoses without much reinforcement etc, replace them with a larger version....

What have you done with Todd?! That picture is way too nice. The pipe is believable, but you gave yourself away with the pic. Poser.

andrew
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

andrew wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Usually the limits on those type of things are like 300% of the posted safety zone. That's not to say that you can do as you please, but 105 psi is functionally very little different than 100.

What have you done with Todd?! That picture is way too nice. The pipe is believable, but you gave yourself away with the pic. Poser.

andrew
And to think! I almost believed you! :cry:
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

And you say you don't know how to make a pipe......liar. :)

I blast at 110 with my crappy Tractor Supply cabinet. Shouldn't be a big deal for yours.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

My kid loned me her Wunder-Camera. I hate it, don't know how to run it, but even in it's most basic, dummy point-and-shoot mode it's gives better pics than I've ever managed with all kinds of fiddling with my crappy old A480.
billiard

Post by billiard »

d.huber wrote:And to think! I almost believed you! :cry:
Wait a second, who's this douchebag that stole Uber's Avatar? I liked Ubie and now we have an imposter who almost believed that....

wait ...man this is confusing! Next thing I know you guys will be trying to tell me that girls are making pipes too?!?!
scotties22 wrote:I blast at 110 with my crappy Tractor Supply cabinet. Shouldn't be a big deal for yours.
Oh, er, uh, Hi Scottie! :lol:

seriously though thanks for the info, I spent every nickel and dime I've saved up from pipe making over the past couple years, including my corn cob days when I first joined the forum, to get all the needed parts for a blasting set up, and now to be honest I was just a little worried I would break something that I couldn't afford to fix. It's a family\no pipe making weekend for me but I am gonna sneak out to the shop a couple hours and play with the nozzles and pressures and see what I can do :)
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Your cabinet does not really come into effect for the rating. It is going to be the nozzle that you are using that is rated for certain psi. Smaller the nozzle lower the psi rating usually.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

billiard wrote:
Wait a second, who's this douchebag that stole Uber's Avatar? I liked Ubie and now we have an imposter who almost believed that....

wait ...man this is confusing! Next thing I know you guys will be trying to tell me that girls are making pipes too?!?!
scotties22 wrote:I blast at 110 with my crappy Tractor Supply cabinet. Shouldn't be a big deal for yours.
Oh, er, uh, Hi Scottie! :lol:
Hhhhhheeeeeeyyyyyyyy, now........c'mon man. I'm not THAT bad.......am I????????
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

PremalChheda wrote:Your cabinet does not really come into effect for the rating. It is going to be the nozzle that you are using that is rated for certain psi. Smaller the nozzle lower the psi rating usually.
Thanks Premal, I assume the prime reason for the rating on the nozzle is that the nozzle will wear and in time open to a larger diameter. When I was doing my homework before purchasing the parts and pieces, I also ordered a set of tungsten carbide replacement nozzles Rad had recommended in a several years old thread. So I should be good to go by that account. I didn't have them for the blast in the original post but will be using them now.
scotties22 wrote:Hhhhhheeeeeeyyyyyyyy, now........c'mon man. I'm not THAT bad.......am I????????
Not at all Scottie, not at all, I was just having a little fun on what to my early shift working butt, is Friday night :)
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

billiard wrote:
Wait a second, who's this douchebag that stole Uber's Avatar?
The transformation occurred after I made the pipe in my avatar.

:lol:
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

billiard wrote:
PremalChheda wrote:Your cabinet does not really come into effect for the rating. It is going to be the nozzle that you are using that is rated for certain psi. Smaller the nozzle lower the psi rating usually.
Thanks Premal, I assume the prime reason for the rating on the nozzle is that the nozzle will wear and in time open to a larger diameter. When I was doing my homework before purchasing the parts and pieces, I also ordered a set of tungsten carbide replacement nozzles Rad had recommended in a several years old thread. So I should be good to go by that account. I didn't have them for the blast in the original post but will be using them now.
I am not sure if Rad has changed his carbide nozzle out yet, but he does make about 3 or 4 times many pipes a year than Bill and I do combined. I have had the same carbide nozzle in my system since 2008 and it is still going strong after about 500+ pipes being blasted. I think I am going to get another 500+ out of it before it has to be changed. The air jet inside the nozzle has to be changed about once every 100+ pipes. This is for siphon feed systems. For pressure feed systems you have to keep a closer watch on the hose and internals.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I was shocked to see the straight pipe from sasquatch as well lol.