Bowl Coatings

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Progcat

Bowl Coatings

Post by Progcat »

Hi Everyone,

I tried the charcoal/buttermilk/yogurt recipe for coating the bowl of one of my pipes. It looks pretty good. Haven't smoked it yet. Does anybody know how on earth dairy products exposed in this way do not go rancid. I can't detect any spoiling in the bowl coating and I am curious as to why.

Tim
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

For one thing I guess you can say that buttermilk realy doesn't spoil to begin with, the nature of the beast so to speak :-)

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

It dries before it can spoil. This can happen with many organic materials -- think of beef jerky, for instance. Not that I'd suggest it for a bowl coating.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I've tried the mixture. It works well and has no taste when smoked.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
bscofield

Re: Bowl Coatings

Post by bscofield »

Progcat wrote:Hi Everyone,

I tried the charcoal/buttermilk/yogurt recipe for coating the bowl of one of my pipes. It looks pretty good. Haven't smoked it yet. Does anybody know how on earth dairy products exposed in this way do not go rancid. I can't detect any spoiling in the bowl coating and I am curious as to why.

Tim
Someone mentioned here recently (I think i was here...) that they had a talked with a chemistry (?) professor at the university he went to and he said that the sour cream (same for yogurt?) had something in it and so did buttermilk and that the two counteracted each other and thereby removed the chance of it becoming rancid. So from my understanding it's a chemical neutralizing that causes it to stay "OK."

Let see if we can get Artguy to chime in... he was the one that posted it (I think).