How to deal with this.

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
caskwith

How to deal with this.

Post by caskwith »

Working on a pipe, really nice grain and I would love to keep it smooth but it has these weird marks, kind of blotchy. Anyone seen this before? Aside from sandblasting I guess it's just going to be a case of a dark stain I guess? Such a shame, it would have been a lovely natural smooth.

sandahlpipe

Re: How to deal with this.

Post by sandahlpipe »

I haven't seen those marks before, but you could always try a dark stain and see how it goes. Worst that can happen is it will be a dark stain. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

When harvesting burls, often donkeys are used to carry the burls. It appears that a donkey took a leak onto the burl prior to harvesting.
Who's briar? Looks like it wasn't boiled long enough.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Donkey piss, I knew it. Well we all know the cure for that is to coat it in donkey shit lol.

I believe it's Molina briar? I had a customer want me to make a set of pipes for him, he ordered briar and had it sent to me, I was told to make his pipes and keep the rest, this is one of those blocks, lovely grain, tight and clean, smells and taste good too so I am not sure about boiling, could it be something akin to spalting as found in other woods?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

You might be able to drive the mold/fungus/mineral deposit/etc. out of the briar with heat.

Put the bowl in a pottery kiln set to 2350 degrees F for 24 hours, shut the oven off so it cools slowly over several days, and check. Bet the marks are gone.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

LatakiaLover wrote:You might be able to drive the mold/fungus/mineral deposit/etc. out of the briar with heat.

Put the bowl in a pottery kiln set to 2350 degrees F for 24 hours, shut the oven off so it cools slowly over several days, and check. Bet the marks are gone.
You should use smileys after a post like this, George. Someone might take you serious and try it. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I've got a laboratory furnace, only goes up to 1100 C though, will that be enough?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

wdteipen wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:You might be able to drive the mold/fungus/mineral deposit/etc. out of the briar with heat.

You should use smileys after a post like this, George. Someone might take you serious and try it. :lol:
You are exactly right, of course. My apologies. Besides, pottery kilns are much too heavy and expensive for a pipe carver to even consider. I don't know what I was thinking.

Much easier and cheaper would be to get a common, range top pressure cooker from Wal-Mart, fill it with gasoline and the briar, lock the lid, turn the heat on "high," and cook it at home. Just make sure the gasoline is entirely gone before opening the cooker (takes an hour or more). The best way to check, of course, is with a wooden match or Bic lighter since a lot of vapor builds up in your house during the cooking process. Also, because such a procedure should be constantly monitored, I find that sipping a cocktail of cyanide and industrial drain cleaner while playing a game of Russian Roulette with a .44 mag helps pass the time.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
taharris

Post by taharris »

But don't forget your gloves. Safety first!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Never seen anything like it.

In other news, I'm surprised you characterize that as nice grain. Looks like branch wood to me, and would be an automatic blast anyway. Maybe the photo misleads?
DMI

Post by DMI »

The dirty marks look like oil of some kind.

The briar looks similar to the Chinese stuff this guy uses:

http://www.scandpipes.com/group.asp?group=519

d.huber

Post by d.huber »

LatakiaLover wrote:
wdteipen wrote:

You are exactly right, of course. My apologies. Besides, pottery kilns are much too heavy and expensive for a pipe carver to even consider. I don't know what I was thinking.

Much easier and cheaper would be to get a common, range top pressure cooker from Wal-Mart, fill it with gasoline and the briar, lock the lid, turn the heat on "high," and cook it at home. Just make sure the gasoline is entirely gone before opening the cooker (takes an hour or more). The best way to check, of course, is with a wooden match or Bic lighter since a lot of vapor builds up in your house during the cooking process. Also, because such a procedure should be constantly monitored, I find that sipping a cocktail of cyanide and industrial drain cleaner while playing a game of Russian Roulette with a .44 mag helps pass the time.
I tried this once. When I woke up, there was a hole in my wall and my kitchen was missing.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Strange cut of wood, a lot of heartwood in that piece.

That chinese "briar" is rhamnus I think, don't know much more about it than that.

No idea what the spotting is on that wood in the OP.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

d.huber wrote:I tried this once. When I woke up, there was a hole in my wall and my kitchen was missing.
I'll bet your girl wasn't too happy about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Tyler wrote:Never seen anything like it.

In other news, I'm surprised you characterize that as nice grain. Looks like branch wood to me, and would be an automatic blast anyway. Maybe the photo misleads?
Ok the grain isn't $1000+ super high grade quality but it's clean, the orientation follows the shape and other side has nice flaming and the front and back are solid birdseye. It's nice to me, probably not good enough for some of you guys but it's probably a lot better than most English pipes have ever been made of ;) lol
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I think it's probably bad boiling or mold that went deep into the wood during initial drying...
Boiling it again might help, but it will screw up your mortise and will require a couple of months of drying.
You could try boiling it in 75% alcohol - you won't be driving as much humidity into the wood and it might help clean the stains.

If that doesn't work I'd blast it :)
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

sometimes when the briar starts to rot in the ground, it will show marks like these. You rarely see it in blocks since most is chucked at the mill. I'd put my money on that or the damn donkeys!!!
Attachments
8637_591067837580387_1401714370_n.jpg
(149.98 KiB) Downloaded 955 times
Tyler
Site Supporter

How to deal with this.

Post by Tyler »

Vermont Freehand wrote:sometimes when the briar starts to rot in the ground, it will show marks like these. You rarely see it in blocks since most is chucked at the mill. I'd put my money on that or the damn donkeys!!!
It's dead root briar!!

Maybe it IS $1000+ super high grade!!

:D :D :D
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Maybe it's actually 5000 yr old petrified bog briar! :mrgreen:
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Well a medium brown stain hid it very well.