Stupid sanding question from the metric side of the globe

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
alexanderfrese

Stupid sanding question from the metric side of the globe

Post by alexanderfrese »

Reading american-international Websites and forums (fora?) I've quite often been irritated by the fact, that all the freaks seem to use grids of sanding paper hard to find here…

:oops:

Ehhmmm, it just strikes me, that I might be trapped in misunderstanding the dimensionsional basis for these values. Are the values for sanding paper in the US based on the square-inch? That would make a US-american 1500 paper a 600 here in Germany. Quite a difference.

Alex
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Try this:

http://www.washingtonwoodworkersguild.o ... arison.pdf

This looks like a pretty decent comparison between CAMI and FEPA grit scales.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Wow I had no idea that there was a difference. Ya' learn something new every day ............ :think:
ToddJohnson

Re: Stupid sanding question from the metric side of the glob

Post by ToddJohnson »

alexanderfrese wrote:Reading american-international Websites and forums (fora?) I've quite often been irritated by the fact, that all the freaks seem to use grids of sanding paper hard to find here…
You could move. Or you could start using 3M wet/dry. You only need three or four grits, 220, 320, 400, and (maybe) 600. Since you read English, I'm sure you can find these at a dozen or more online retailers without having to do any metric conversions.

Todd
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Yes moving would be an idea. I'm sure I've read about 1500 paper somewhere. And No, Sir, it was not in a discussion about polishing lacque.
I was just wondering, because in a store (the ones with doors…) I can get 1000 easy, 1200 sometimes, and I never saw anything finer. Above that I would use steel wool, though I found the info, that fine steel wool produces steel dust, that might fill the wood, too. I think, it was in a forum for general woodwork, though.

Inch/cm might have explained it.

Alex
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

This is an excellent chart. Should be very helpful for our metric friends. I plan to forward this to my brother-in-law in Denmark.

Thanks for sharing it.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

alexanderfrese wrote:Yes moving would be an idea. I'm sure I've read about 1500 paper somewhere. And No, Sir, it was not in a discussion about polishing lacque.
I was just wondering, because in a store (the ones with doors…) I can get 1000 easy, 1200 sometimes, and I never saw anything finer. Above that I would use steel wool, though I found the info, that fine steel wool produces steel dust, that might fill the wood, too. I think, it was in a forum for general woodwork, though.

Inch/cm might have explained it.

Alex
Alex, the easiest place for me to find higher grit sandpaper is an autoparts store. Look for it around the car paint area. It's used to sand real fine paints on cars.