Stains and Rusticating

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
PastorPipe

Stains and Rusticating

Post by PastorPipe »

1. Can anyone reccomend the best place to buy a stain for a pipe? Or perhps even a favorite stain?

2. How does one make and or purchase a rusticating tool?

Thanks. Matt :pipe:
bscofield

Re: Stains and Rusticating

Post by bscofield »

PastorPipe wrote:1. Can anyone reccomend the best place to buy a stain for a pipe? Or perhps even a favorite stain?
Fieblings seems to be a good place to get dye. You can buy from a bunch of people online:

http://www.aleathersource.com/Dyes.htm

I get Tandy Leather Co. dye, but that is just because I have a local shop and I hate waiting for shipping.
PastorPipe wrote:2. How does one make and or purchase a rusticating tool?
Check out tyler's "Pipe Making" section on the left. Go to "Finishing" and there's a section on rusticating with insructions to make the tool. I just made it a few days ago, works like a charm! It cost me about $10. Could have been less if I could have found less nails.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

As for the dyes. There are some, that simply put pigments into the wood. There are some that interact chemically within the wood with parts of the wood. I can't find a proper translation for the German term for the wood part it reacts with. Last one produces a longer lasting stain.

How can we tell the difference? Are leather dyes generally that interactive? Is there a conmprehensive guide somewhere or is it part of the well hidden voodoo of every pipemaker?

Alex
marks

Post by marks »

There is more than one way to rusticate.

Currently on my web page are two examples. Pipe 1505 was done entirely with a dremel and different sized round carving bits. (I've made two pipes in this type style. One I kept that gets positive comments everytime I smoke it, and this one that sold within two hours of me delivering it to the Pipe & Pint).

Pipes 1104 and 1605 were done with a woodworking chisel and the rusticating tool.

If you decide to rusticate with a dremel, don't keep the speed too fast, and don't let the bit sit in one place too long, or the wood will burn.

Now, I wonder what it would look like if I combined the two styles..... :think:

Good luck!!