My tobacco crop

Discussions on growing and cultivating tobacco.
flix

My tobacco crop

Post by flix »

Hi All,

I've finally got plants worth showing:

the whole crop:

Havana:

Midewivan Sacred:

"Indian" from seedman.com:

I smoked a tiny bit of the Havana uncured. Unbelievably strong. Almost gave me hallucinations! ;)

Enjoy...
Last edited by flix on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Looking good!
My MayaMopa is less than 1/2 that size. :cry:
What in the world possesed you to smoke it uncured :shock: Whatcha thinking? :D
Keep the pics coming!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Looking good. Hurry up and sucker that Havana, before you lose leaf growing power! All the shoots that come out from between the main leaf and stem should be removed. When they get about an inch long, I bend them to one side, then the other, and they snap right off.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

kbadkar wrote:Looking good. Hurry up and sucker that Havana, before you lose leaf growing power! All the shoots that come out from between the main leaf and stem should be removed. When they get about an inch long, I bend them to one side, then the other, and they snap right off.
I had to go back and look at that one again. When I saw it the first time I though it was 2 plants growing there. Yup... some pruning is in order!
flix

Post by flix »

Yeah, they were pretty bad. I had no idea how bad until I got them all off. I'm going to cure the suckers since they're so big! We'll see if they turn out at all (not counting on it).

The plants are really starting to grow now that the heat is consistent. I'll have more pictures in about 10 days.

Thanks for the tip!

--Michael
nepenthes

Post by nepenthes »

wow, im jealous, im horrible at weeding, and. Well it looks like some one planted tobacco in my yard. instead of me having tilled it up.

good looking plants!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

nepenthes wrote:wow, im jealous, im horrible at weeding, and. Well it looks like some one planted tobacco in my yard. instead of me having tilled it up.
Huh? You have tobacco growing wild in your backyard?

I tried just tossing baccy seeds (mostly native varieties) around the yard this early spring, and nothing stuck. Those little seeds sure are particular. I'm surprised they can sprout and grow without a little human assistance and without generous regular waterings.
flix

Post by flix »

Well, I've been harvesting for a couple of weeks now. Here are the plants just before I started.

whole crop:

"Midewivian Sacred" whatever that means!:

Hungarian Szamosi:

I let one of the "Indian" variety flower:

As well as one of the Havana:

I hope you enjoyed the show, it was fun to bring them along this far. Next will be curing pictures.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Great! Keep it coming!
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Looking real good!
If those plants are close together you might have a cross polonation problem. If you are planning on getting seeds. Even though the flowers are really pretty to look at, I cover mine up with a brown paper lunch bags before they opened, and left them on till the petals fell off, just to be sure I didn't have a problem.
The Szamosi is real neat, never heard of it. Whatcha gonna do with it?
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Nice Flix! It's kind of bitter-sweet to harvest, huh? The garden looks so empty afterwards. I'm bringing in a nice second crop after the harvest though. After you have harvested, leave some inches of stalk coming out of the ground and, climate willing, you might be able to sneak in another round.

Keep us updated on the curing. That's the part where growers really need to contribute their experiences, experiments, trials, errors, and successes.
flix

Post by flix »

Smitty wrote:Looking real good!
If those plants are close together you might have a cross polonation problem. If you are planning on getting seeds. Even though the flowers are really pretty to look at, I cover mine up with a brown paper lunch bags before they opened, and left them on till the petals fell off, just to be sure I didn't have a problem.
The Szamosi is real neat, never heard of it. Whatcha gonna do with it?
"TA07 Hungarian "Szamosi" Dark Tobacco
A very popular Hungarian tobacco with full rich flavor. The lower 5-6 leaves are used for cigars or pipe tobacco and the upper leaves are used for medium flavored cigarettes or for pipe tobacco. The huge leaves can be up to 24-30" long and 16" wide. A heavy producer"

From this website: http://www.seedman.com/Tobacco.htm#2

I suppose I'll use it for cigars and pipes.

As far as cross pollination, I'm not too worried. Maybe some crossing will produce a useful plant. We'll see! I'm happy to experiment, since I've got so many seeds from Robert and the seedman website.

Thanks!