Free Seeds!

Discussions on growing and cultivating tobacco.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Free Seeds!

Post by kbadkar »

I had a bumper crop this year. I discovered that tobacco plants won't stop growing in a Los Angeles winter and refuse to die. I harvested each plant twice, at least, ran out of drying room, and just let them all go to flower. I literally have a million seeds already and all the plants are still covered in flowers and dried pods... Sooo who wants some? At first, the kids thought it was fun to separate seeds from pods, now they're over it, so these seeds will go to waste unless there is some interest or I pull a Johnny Tobacco Seed.

I have: Orinoco, Tennesse Red Leaf, Burley, Hungarian Sazmosi, Virginia Gold, Goose Creek Red, Turkish Samsun, and Havana. All these plants grew exceptionally well. I also have some native varieties that really weren't worth the effort: Isleta Pueblo, Midwivean Sacred, Indian, and Punche.

For the most part, same varieties were planted together, but no flowers were covered, so cross-pollenation is possible, but I know who the mothers are.

Send a self addressed stamped envelope and what seed varieties you'd want. PM or email me for my mailing address.
AlfaDog

Re: Free Seeds!

Post by AlfaDog »

You should bag your seed heads to keep the varieties pure. Top the plants you're not using for seed to increase leaf size. I use 5 gal. paint strainers from any paint store. Here's some from Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... opFor=true
Most folks want a proven pure variety because many of the hybrids were bred to be disease resistant. Cross breeding out of a controlled environment produces unpredictable results. You could end up with seed producing a plant with the worst characteristics of the parents rather than see any improvement. You just never know. It's like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.