Going to try my hand at tobacco growing!

Discussions on growing and cultivating tobacco.
smokindawg

Going to try my hand at tobacco growing!

Post by smokindawg »

I just ordered seeds to attempt to grow my own tobacco. From the add, I'm getting 500 each of Viriginia, Havanna, and a Conneticut.

We are planting our first garden at the new place and I now will till up a spot of my own for tobacco plants. Not sure how many I'll be trying, but plan to have fun with it. I also have a walk in smoker, so may even flue cure some of it if I can figure that part out.

Any tips from anyone here that has grown their own tobacco?
Pipe Maker in the Making!
r-ice

Re: Going to try my hand at tobacco growing!

Post by r-ice »

HI, I don't know how much of this is true. Apparently tobacco is slightly poisonous to the earth and after planting that you can't plant anything else in the same spot for a while.

Good luck. If I had the space I'd try it.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Tobacco as a plant is pretty easy to grow. Like any plant, it has certain needs that should be met for it to do well, but a little research should tell you about fertilizing, suckering/topping, planting etc.
I grew a few plants years ago, and the hard part wasn't growing them, but turning the leaf into something useful !
Theres lots of info about curing tobacco on the net these days, you just need to study up on that, and be willing to put the work in.
Probably, the first batch you do will be nothing like commercial product, but if you're lucky it could be something halfway tolerable and eventually you might figure it all out and come up with something you really like.
Best of luck !
I, for one, would like to see some updates on your project. When I have the space to do it again I'd like to give it another try, with a little more effort towards curing and processing this time around.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I have the space and the time, so I'm going to give it a shot. I also have a couple open ended buildings, so those should be good for some of the drying.

I'll be doing like I did with pipes when I first started smoking one. I'll be doing lots of research. I'm sure that some of it will be trial and error of sorts, but it should be some fun.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Be sure to make your Master Settlement Agreement payments to the 46 States, Federal Excise Tax, State Excise Tax, Everybody and his Brother Tax. :lol:
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Mike Messer wrote:Be sure to make your Master Settlement Agreement payments to the 46 States, Federal Excise Tax, State Excise Tax, Everybody and his Brother Tax. :lol:

I hear ya Mike..................... :fencing:
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

r-ice wrote:HI, I don't know how much of this is true. Apparently tobacco is slightly poisonous to the earth and after planting that you can't plant anything else in the same spot for a while.
Whoever told you that is obviously under the influence of the anti-tobacco nazis. :lol: No, none of that is true.

It IS a nutrient-intensive crop and will suck the soil dry of nitrogen if grown in the same spot over and over without tilling in some compost, manure, or other fertilizers every year, but it doesn't "poison" the soil any more than its fellow nightshade-family cousins tomato, pepper, and eggplant do. :roll: And you can't even smoke those... :lol:
flix

Post by flix »

Alan L wrote:
r-ice wrote:HI, I don't know how much of this is true. Apparently tobacco is slightly poisonous to the earth and after planting that you can't plant anything else in the same spot for a while.
Whoever told you that is obviously under the influence of the anti-tobacco nazis. :lol: No, none of that is true.

It IS a nutrient-intensive crop and will suck the soil dry of nitrogen if grown in the same spot over and over without tilling in some compost, manure, or other fertilizers every year, but it doesn't "poison" the soil any more than its fellow nightshade-family cousins tomato, pepper, and eggplant do. :roll: And you can't even smoke those... :lol:
Good to hear, since I'm planting my crop right next to my wife's veggies.