Cool Perique Video on Google

Once you've grown and harvested your tobacco, what do you do with it? Talk about it here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Now I want to go out and find some of those American Spirit cigs to see what they taste like.

Very cool video, Robert. That's got me thinking now. I have a big jackscrew like they're using up at my parents' place. My dad has threatened to make me take it home with me whenever I visit, so maybe I should take the pickup next time. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Those American Spirit Perique smokes aren't bad. They have nowhere near the pungency you'd expect, if you have ever handled straight Perique. It must be a pretty light blend of Perique, because I think the Spirit regular and organic smokes are harsher. On those occasions when I do puff on a coffin nail, it's been exclusively the American Spirit brand for like 15 years now. They used to be real hard to find, now, they're all over the place.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I'm not a big fan of them, for some reason. I don't often smoke cigarettes but when my buddy brought a pack of these out I thought I might like them. I love perique in pipe tobacco, just not in this form.

One other thing I've noticed about them; if I don't empty the ashtray at night, they stink to high heaven the next morning. It's unlike any other type of cigarette morning-after stench I've ever smelled.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Cool video.

I had the pleasure of stopping at Mr. Martin's farm a few years ago, and visiting with him for about an hour. I bought some perique straight out of the barrel. He unscrewed the jackscrew and speared some out with a huge hook. It was black, and peeled out like hot tar paper. He told me that he had just sold 100% of his previous year's crop the week before. It went to American Spirit. All of it. He saves back one barrel from each year, and the barrel he tapped from my sampling was from six years previous.

Oh if everyone here could just get a whiff of the smells in that barn.

Amazing.

Tyler