Flavorings

Once you've grown and harvested your tobacco, what do you do with it? Talk about it here.
Smitty

Flavorings

Post by Smitty »

Tried to do some steaming yesterday. Used about a 1/2oz of the burley. One was done with about a teaspoon of Anise extract and another with some Orange extract and one with Light Brown Sugar and Cocoa powder. These were put in canning jars and put in the crock pot for about 20 hours at low heat and dried today for about 6 hours.
I took another 1/2oz and toasted it with some Brown Sugar in the oven at 350* then added some vanilla extract.Image
I don't know how it will some, but it smells good enough to eat. :wink:
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Well?

Updates!
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Lookin good, Smitty. Definitely keep us posted on how they turn out. I'm particularly interested in the orange extract.

One thing I have been discovering is that the flavors that I get out seem to bear little resemblance to the flavors that I put in.

I think the next flavor on my list is deer tongue, as I have recently discovered that what we perceive as "vanilla" in certain blends is usually, in fact, deer tongue.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

pierredekat wrote:Lookin good, Smitty. Definitely keep us posted on how they turn out. I'm particularly interested in the orange extract.

One thing I have been discovering is that the flavors that I get out seem to bear little resemblance to the flavors that I put in.

I think the next flavor on my list is deer tongue, as I have recently discovered that what we perceive as "vanilla" in certain blends is usually, in fact, deer tongue.
Cornell and Diehl offers a blend called Crooner(it's either blend #114 or #104, can't remember which) that is simply a cube-cut burley with some deer tongue blended in. You can see the deer tongue floating around in there. It's a tasty, cool smoke. If you want a good example of how it smokes in a somewhat raw form, this would be a good blend to sample.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The orange extract was very bitter on the tongue, when smoked straight. I mixed it 1 part to 3 parts of the 14 hour smoked Samsun and came up with a pretty good smoke, It had an aroma of orage juice out of the bag and tasted kind of creamy. There was not much after taste of room aroma when it was smoked.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cracked open the jar with the Burley Anise,last night. It was quite moist and strong smelling. Too much to try straight. I tried to mix it with some of the smoked Samsun but I could not get it to smooth out. It was sweet, but very bitter. I settled into about 4 parts of straight Virginia Gold and 1 part of the Anise. I got a very mellow,sweet smoke that had a nice licorice aftertatse.
What fun! :P
All in the name of Science :!:
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, Smitty.

Yeah, I still haven't gotten into the flavoring aspect nearly as much as I want to, yet, but I've really been enjoying a delightful half-and-half blend featuring some of last year's Virginia and some store-bought Lane BCA (Black Cavendish).
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I have more Burley and Samsun right now than I can do anything with! I have to wait for the second crop of Virginia to get going. I need a lot more Va to really get into the blending.
Your Havana is really starting to take off as is the Maya Mopa followed by the Virginia. Thanks again! :wink: Can't wait to see how they are going to come out.