Deer's Tongue

Once you've grown and harvested your tobacco, what do you do with it? Talk about it here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Deer's Tongue

Post by KurtHuhn »

A post in another section got me thinking about Deer's Tongue, and I started reading about it online. That actually got me interested in the possibility of using it to flavor tobaccos, which spawned the thought process of growing it - of course. I do a lot of hiking int he woods around here, and haven't seen it anywhere, and we just don't have too much in the way of open grassland, so I figured growing it wouldn't be difficult, and might provide a nice compliment to all the tobacco going into the ground in a few weeks (still too cold now).

Anyone tried this? Or at a minimum, has anyone used it to flavor their own blends?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Wow, you know, I had snooped around the internet for a source for deer tongue, and it never even dawned on me that I could grow my own. Brilliant!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I don't know that seeds are actually available, and don't really have time to hunt them down until the weekend. The proper name is "Liatris odoratissima", so if you do find the time to hunt down seeds, that may help.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Yeah, I have tried every combination of searches on Google I can think of, and I can't find a source for seeds. The plants almost have to make seeds, since they make flowers, but nobody has the seeds for sale.

I guess if one of us needs yet another project, he could dig some up, grow it until it makes seeds, harvest the seeds, sprout up a patch next Spring, harvest those seeds, and start selling them to the rest of us. <insert tongue-in-cheek emoticon>
android

Post by android »

Robert,

I don't know if you found this post on gardenweb's forum or not when you were googling, but this might provide you with a few leads. It looks like the flower might be part of a wildflower mix you can find. Trouble there would be identifying the seed and/or growing all of them and isolating the plant... I don't know if this link will lead to anything, but i thought you might want to check it out:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 74995.html
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Every consider getting in touch with C&D and finding out where they get it? They use it in one of their blends.
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Deer's Tongue

Post by TRS »

I can't seem to find seeds anywhere, but if anyone needs leaves I found this:

http://www.healthyvillage.com/product_details/7313.html

Expensive, yes, but it's good for gonorrhea too!