mason jar stoving

Once you've grown and harvested your tobacco, what do you do with it? Talk about it here.
uncoolperson

mason jar stoving

Post by uncoolperson »

new guy here (you can blame a current member for that).

tried planting some tobacco earlier this year, didn't turn out as awesome as I had hoped with the northwest weather and all (the west side of washington). But I got a few small plants hanging right now.

so my question is, how does the mason jar stoving work?

from what I gather toss the tobacco in a mason jar, top it with tin foil set an oven to 200-300 and sit and wait a few (4ish) hours.
or something about on the stove in a mason jar in a pot of water.

is that all there is to it? Although I suppose asking it like that is like asking if tying flies is as easy as tying a few pieces of feather to a hook.

Thanks
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Re: mason jar stoving

Post by kbadkar »

That sounds about right, except I'd keep the oven temperature around/under 250 deg. At least, that's the way I do it with some unopened boring tobacco tins. It seems to age them and change the character of the tobacco a bit.

I've tried stoving my tobacco before it was properly cured and aged, and the results weren't good. I tried a number of these type of "short cuts", but none were successful. Since then, I've built a curing chamber, and now I'm experimenting with how long in a 130 deg, 70% rh enviroment is ideal. I've discovered some tobacco types take longer to fully cure. I have a batch that cured for 3 weeks and now I have batches in the chamber that have been in for 8 to 11 weeks. I shut down the chamber now, because I'm on a business trip, but when I return, I'll start sampling again. Once I've figured out curing time, then I'll experiment again with stoving and compare to straight cured of the same variety.

The point of this long winded response: cure first, stove later.
uncoolperson

Post by uncoolperson »

kbadkar wrote:That sounds about right, except I'd keep the oven temperature around/under 250 deg. At least, that's the way I do it with some unopened boring tobacco tins. It seems to age them and change the character of the tobacco a bit.

I've tried stoving my tobacco before it was properly cured and aged, and the results weren't good. I tried a number of these type of "short cuts", but none were successful. Since then, I've built a curing chamber, and now I'm experimenting with how long in a 130 deg, 70% rh enviroment is ideal. I've discovered some tobacco types take longer to fully cure. I have a batch that cured for 3 weeks and now I have batches in the chamber that have been in for 8 to 11 weeks. I shut down the chamber now, because I'm on a business trip, but when I return, I'll start sampling again. Once I've figured out curing time, then I'll experiment again with stoving and compare to straight cured of the same variety.

The point of this long winded response: cure first, stove later.
I don't have the space/environment to do this the right way, gotta work out a cheater way.

Thanks for the response.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I don't think there is a cheater way if you want tobacco that tastes and smokes anything like what you're used to. Check out posts by Smitty in this section, as he's tried short cut methods that he seems satisfied with. He also posts in howtogrowtobacco.com. Also, check the coffinails.com forum for possible cheater methods. I've tried most cheater methods that didn't involve any type of flavorings or casings and was sorely disappointed. But, properly cured tobacco, on the other hand, YUMMY!