Cigar leaf blends

Recipes and techniques for blending tobacco - wether home-grown or otherwise.
kkendall

Cigar leaf blends

Post by kkendall »

When someone is talking about a cigar leaf blend... are they talking about the filler, binder, or wrapper leafs???
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I'm pretty sure it's the filler, but not 100% sure.
flix

Post by flix »

I wonder what kind of casing to put on cigar leaf, for pipe smoking that is? My first guess would be either licorice, maple syrup, or molasses... Does it matter if it's wrapper, binder or wrapper? Doesn't seem that it would matter to me.
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

I've been reading this forum for a year or so now and this is the first time I have looked in this section of the forum.:) Kind of been focused on making the pipe and not growing my own. The funny thing is that I have just been reading about this topic due to Kurt mentioning a blend he picked up at the last pipe show. The one he mentioned is Key Largo by GL Pease which is a blend with some cigar leaf added. From the research I did, most of the cigar blends used the wrapper to give the blend a mild cigar taste. This lines up with a random piece of info that I recall hearing once, which is that the flavor of a cigar is mostly in the wrapper. Due to the date on the last post on this thread you guys may have figured out all of that already but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I found a good web site which has lots of information on all sorts of blends.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm

Check it out if you are looking to try something new and need a little info.
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
Michl

Post by Michl »

I just posted a cigar blend recipe in the blends section.
I didn't see this section.

My view is that you would not use the wrapper, and only
some of the binder. The filler on a good cigar has
decent ligero content and that's what you want. If
you are only after the burn qualities of cigar leaf,
then you would want the wrapper. Also, no casing
if it is good cigar leaf.

But I like a good cigar, so this colors my perception.