Ryobi Bandsaw...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
JMG

Ryobi Bandsaw...

Post by JMG »

I know more power is typically better (in most things) but given my budget, do you guys think this bandsaw would do the job for cutting briar blocks? Thanks for your help guys.

Ryobi 2.5 amp, 9 inch throat/3 1/2 cutting capacity
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
wdteipen

Re: Ryobi Bandsaw...

Post by wdteipen »

I'm no expert on bandsaws. Mine is a crappy one.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I bought a Ryobi bench grinder and it is probably not the greatest one around. I am also on a super budget too. The bench grinder lacks power and can heat up pretty quickly. I also put my buffing wheels on it when I buff. If we had more money, I am sure that we could invest in some decent tools. On the plus side, it still hasn't broke!

Kiel
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I have something similar in size and power and it is iffy with briar blocks. If the blade is good and sharp and everything is tuned and aligned it does ok but if the blade is the least bit dull it gets bogged down and can take forever to cut a block. It will work, just not wonderfully.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Not sure how much the Ryobi is, but this is what I have and it is awesomeness.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/14-1-H ... es-/G0555P
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I just got a used craftsman band saw off craigslist for $100. The thing is 35 years old and runs great.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Nate, I would like to borrow golden egg laying goose sometime please sir.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Nate

Post by Nate »

JMG wrote:Nate, I would like to borrow golden egg laying goose sometime please sir.
When you find one, shoot me some eggs. :)

Was suggesting one I knew would work. Hitachi, Ryobi, etc.; a lot of these brands are not exactly known for quality. I would go for Jeremiah's idea, looking on craigslist or ebay for Craftsman or some quality brands ;)
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

About a year ago I caught a 14" Craftsman on sale and have not regretted it. 1 HP, dual speed, 2 dust ports and ball bearing guides. Obviously Chinese (what isn't) but well made and fairly heavy.
In 14" saws I would put Nate's Grizzly at the top of the pile but the Craftsman is no slouch. Due to its shape I would guess that Rikon makes it for Sears.
Watch the internet sites for some good old American iron such as Powermatic or perhaps the Canadian-made General. They are not difficult to re-build if needed. They may take some strong backs and weak minds to move but are worth it if one can find one.
Quality blades can make a big difference no matter what the brand.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Bigger is better , but to answer Yes, that or harbor frt. Buy new blades of quality on ebay and it will make it till you can find a decent one on Craigs list etc. The one Nate has is really great!!!. He gets all the good stuff. The Ryobi and harbor look the same, just cheaper at harbor frt.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

This is what I have:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-3-hp-3 ... ockType=G2

I would not trust it to square a block 100% evenly(I have a Rikon 12" disk sander for that) but it is more than adequate for rough cutting, and a decent all around bandsaw.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Most of the craftsman bench tools are made by rikon. I have the same craftsman 10" bandsaw and its only good for cutting fingers. It cant cut a curve in a briar block without stalling.
taharris

Post by taharris »

I'm no expert on band saws but I do know that the proper blade will make a world of difference.

For rough cutting Briar blocks you want 3-4 teeth per inch and a good quality blade.

Check out this one: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/829912 ... -Claw.aspx

Todd
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

For a small saw, the Ryobi isn't bad. I've got one. Without checking exact models, make sure that the blade guides are ball-bearings rather than blocks. This is usually an indicator that the saw is maybe not total garbage.

The right blade is totally important. I went to kind of a thin blade, thinking I could scroll easier, and it sucked bad. I have a fairly aggressive (5tpi?) 3/8" blade in there now and it works fine.

Bandsaws, like everything else, depend greatly on setup.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
andrew

Post by andrew »

I have a craftsman band saw. It's been great. Screams a bit when under load, but has never bound up on me. Snatched plenty of blocks and nearly took off a digit, but never stalled.

andrew
andrew

Post by andrew »

Second on the right blade. Buy a good one (and the right one).

andrew