The ultimate turning tool

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
W.Pastuch

Re: The ultimate turning tool

Post by W.Pastuch »

Whoa, nice shitstorm :D

Wayne, sorry if you took my reply the wrong way, I assumed you would just google it instead of taking it as me being a smartass. I live in Europe and giving advice to people on this board as to where to purchase a certain piece of equipment would be kinda ridiculous. I could've posted the link to the shop where I bought it here in Poland, would that be helpful? I posted the insert name and the tool holder name, that information is specific enough to find it online in whatever country you live in, it's just two clicks.

George, that science-y post is kinda boring. Who cares why do they get dull, that's why they're replaceable! :wink:

The even better alternative that Premal mentions could be PCD inserts, they have an artificial diamond as a cutting edge. Those would probably last forever and cut even better. But they're more expensive and I would be afraid to use them, they must chip like crazy if you happen to hit them against something.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

W.Pastuch wrote: George, that science-y post is kinda boring. Who cares why do they get dull, that's why they're replaceable!
Nie musiał widzieć ostrzeżenie:

--- Digressive Comment for Tool Geeks ---

As for tools, yeah, they're boring. Except for those times when they're fascinating.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Please don't try to write in Polish, it's one of the most difficult languages in the world, no way the google translator can get it right ;)

I was just messing with you. Tools are absolutely fascinating, and trying to understand the science behind the geometry of cutting tools is quite fun. Trust me, I spent hours on carbide manufacturer's websites trying to figure out what would work for our purpuse. The Mitsubishi carbide website is a very good one, easy to browse and search, which is not a given in the realm of specialized tooling.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Wait, Polish people can write now? That's fantastic! Congratulations Poland!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

As a confirmed tool hoarder I might just have to give this a go, I have been wanting to get some insert tooling anyway for turning hardened steel so this is a good excuse to try it.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

LatakiaLover wrote:
RadDavis wrote:George, they get dull for the same reason that razor blades get dull cutting your beard, or pocket knives get dull whittling cedar. It don't seem right, but that's the way it is.
Actually, the mechanism is not the same, which is why I asked a group of white coat & clipboard guys.

Razors and pocket knives have blade edges which are much softer than TC, plus they bend/deflect (curl over) onnaconna their thinness. (Which is why strops and steels work without removing material... they merely straighten (re-set) the still-sharp edge.

Carbide inserts are damn near diamond hard, have right angle (or close to it) edges, and are extremely rigid.

Your ToolGeek score (with D'Huber being negative zero, and Chas "I'm a proud Texan" Harbert being ten), is only a 2.5, I'm afraid. :(
George, thank you so much for explaining that.

Rad
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

As Premal said, what is harder than carbide? Now how much fun would all of this really be if there were one sticky article with every pipemaking secret exposed on the front page? Research it, and TAFO maybe you will find something even better
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Well, I'll chime in here and see if I can be worthy of George's 10 on the tool geek scale (or get an F in the process).
There is a method to the madness of carbide inserts. There are industry standards and all the letters really do mean something.

Here's a link (so as not to incur any wrath):http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

In decoding what our Polish brother has given us (DCGT) we get the following:
D= Diamond shape with a 55 degree nose angle.
C= 7 degree clearance angle.
G= tolerances for the various dimensional features.
T= info on how it mounts in the tool holder and the style of chipbreaker.

There are some more important numbers he did not include that determine the size and other physical characteristics of the insert and are important in relation to the holder into which they will be attached. The referenced table goes on to decode this info.

There are lots of styles of holders and obviously they have to be chosen carefully for the insert being used. SDJCR holders are specific to the DCGT style inserts in that they follow the 7 degree clearance angle of the insert. The supporting edge of the holder is slightly behind the bottom edge of the insert.

In use, the holder is usually set perpendicular to the lathe axis. This makes for the proper presentation of the cutter to the work and allows a facing cut by backing out the carriage.

There are also boring bars that accept this same insert. They can be handy for reaching into tight spots.

On a side note, I have this set of these:http://www.arwarnerco.com/p-19-kit-16-3 ... -hand.aspx. This company specializes in HSS inserts and holders for those that wouldn't be caught dead using carbide.

And on another note, with a little research one should be able to find replacement cutters on the open market for the EasyWood lathe tools.

In my opinion the DCGT style insert is a good choice for what we are doing.

Hope this helps. :)
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

W.Pastuch wrote:Whoa, nice shitstorm :D

Wayne, sorry if you took my reply the wrong way, I assumed you would just google it instead of taking it as me being a smartass. I live in Europe and giving advice to people on this board as to where to purchase a certain piece of equipment would be kinda ridiculous. I could've posted the link to the shop where I bought it here in Poland, would that be helpful? I posted the insert name and the tool holder name, that information is specific enough to find it online in whatever country you live in, it's just two clicks.
I didn't take your reply the wrong way. I was being facetious with my reply. Searching Google isn't really hard work. Get it? Yeah, probably not. My sometimes dry sense of humor doesn't translate well on internet forums; especially when I forget to use smilies. ;)
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Eddie Castelin.com for inserts. :D I buff often, less sharpening :D I too have a Dry sense of humor from being a Reg. Nurse too long! :D Sas is right as always, Folding in on itself then expanding to create new worlds. :) Rad and Bruce, Love your creations : Tools , You got to love and Have them.Scottie told all about E.W.T tools a long time ago.To all you Gods, and George Also, :D Go make a pipe! :clap: Even if it's never perfect, You gave it your best shot. :banghead: I quote from myself."When you act upon yourself to create, You ARE a GOD!!!! :twak:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

This thread contains lots of awesome.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Sasquatch wrote:Wait, Polish people can write now? That's fantastic! Congratulations Poland!
Fuck off Sas :wink:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Come on Wojtek, we're really pleased for you guys. You have to have goals as a nation!

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

And now, for your entertainment, I will perform the nutcracker using only smilies.

:D
:notworthy:
8)
:x
:?
:D
:eek:
:ROFL:
:endofmankind: :endofmankind: :endofmankind: :endofmankind:
:fencing:
:endofmankind: :endofmankind: :endofmankind: :endofmankind:
:twak:
:shock:
8)
:-D

Thank you.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Aren't there tu tu's in the nutcracker?
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

PremalChheda wrote:Rad Davises and Bruce Weavers have blade edges which are much softer than TC, plus they bend/deflect (curl over) onnaconna their thinness. (Which is why strops and steels work without removing material... they merely straighten (re-set) the still-sharp edge.

George Diboses are damn near diamond hard, have right angle (or close to it) edges, and are extremely rigid.
Today I learned that Radney and Bruce's tools bend and deflect because they are soft, and require frequent re-straightening. In short, they are Girly Men.

While I, lowly denizen of the repairworld, have a tool that is unfailingly hard and exceedingly rigid. i.e. George is Manly Man.

This pleases me. :thumbsup:
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Pictures, PLEASE!!!!!! :D
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Amazing, simply amazing. All our Polish brother wanted to do was share something he had come across and then the assholes start circling with drawn swords.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

oklahoma red wrote:Amazing, simply amazing. All our Polish brother wanted to do was share something he had come across and then the assholes start circling with drawn swords.
Hell yeah.

Don't be fooled. They are tough, scary bastards:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... 58&bih=963
socrates

Post by socrates »

oklahoma red wrote:Well, I'll chime in here and see if I can be worthy of George's 10 on the tool geek scale (or get an F in the process).
There is a method to the madness of carbide inserts. There are industry standards and all the letters really do mean something.

Here's a link (so as not to incur any wrath):http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

In decoding what our Polish brother has given us (DCGT) we get the following:
D= Diamond shape with a 55 degree nose angle.
C= 7 degree clearance angle.
G= tolerances for the various dimensional features.
T= info on how it mounts in the tool holder and the style of chipbreaker.

There are some more important numbers he did not include that determine the size and other physical characteristics of the insert and are important in relation to the holder into which they will be attached. The referenced table goes on to decode this info.

There are lots of styles of holders and obviously they have to be chosen carefully for the insert being used. SDJCR holders are specific to the DCGT style inserts in that they follow the 7 degree clearance angle of the insert. The supporting edge of the holder is slightly behind the bottom edge of the insert.

In use, the holder is usually set perpendicular to the lathe axis. This makes for the proper presentation of the cutter to the work and allows a facing cut by backing out the carriage.

There are also boring bars that accept this same insert. They can be handy for reaching into tight spots.

On a side note, I have this set of these:http://www.arwarnerco.com/p-19-kit-16-3 ... -hand.aspx. This company specializes in HSS inserts and holders for those that wouldn't be caught dead using carbide.

And on another note, with a little research one should be able to find replacement cutters on the open market for the EasyWood lathe tools.

In my opinion the DCGT style insert is a good choice for what we are doing.

Hope this helps. :)
Awesome information, thanks. Now it's stored in my reference files lol.