The ultimate turning tool

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
socrates

Re: The ultimate turning tool

Post by socrates »

Somehow I feel like a guy standing on the outside and being caught in the middle of an inside joke. All you folks know each other and I don't. Sorry for sticking my nose in. I joined this site in hopes of learning enough to make a pipe or two before my sight fades to gray. I have learned enough to start setting up my shop and lathes. My jaws are being made and tools are accumulating as witnessed by the frequency of my wife's yelling LMAO.

I'm sorry to have poked my nose into this. I can say I didn't take well to the response to my post. Enough said! Still think you all a GREAT group of folks and I have a lot to Lear from you in a short period of time. God bless and thanks for allowing me to extract knowledge from you all.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

socrates wrote:Somehow I feel like a guy standing on the outside and being caught in the middle of an inside joke. All you folks know each other and I don't. Sorry for sticking my nose in. I joined this site in hopes of learning enough to make a pipe or two before my sight fades to gray. I have learned enough to start setting up my shop and lathes. My jaws are being made and tools are accumulating as witnessed by the frequency of my wife's yelling LMAO.

I'm sorry to have poked my nose into this. I can say I didn't take well to the response to my post. Enough said! Still think you all a GREAT group of folks and I have a lot to Lear from you in a short period of time. God bless and thanks for allowing me to extract knowledge from you all.
Just remember to take everything these fuckers say with a grain of salt and know that it's all in good fun. Most of us do know each other quite well and sometimes forget there are others here who might not know all of the crazy personalities around here :wink:

There really are no stupid questions....but Jedediah Sandcastle sure can give some stupid fucking answers :takethat: :fencing:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

scotties22 wrote:
socrates wrote:Somehow I feel like a guy standing on the outside and being caught in the middle of an inside joke. All you folks know each other and I don't. Sorry for sticking my nose in. I joined this site in hopes of learning enough to make a pipe or two before my sight fades to gray. I have learned enough to start setting up my shop and lathes. My jaws are being made and tools are accumulating as witnessed by the frequency of my wife's yelling LMAO.

Just remember to take everything these fuckers say with a grain of salt and know that it's all in good fun. Most of us do know each other quite well and sometimes forget there are others here who might not know all of the crazy personalities around here :wink:

There really are no stupid questions....but Jedediah Sandcastle sure can give some stupid fucking answers :takethat: :fencing:
Jedidiah is my son, Scottie.

:takethat:

But still, I make sure my answers have plenty of salt.

When Scottie answers, though. You'd better listen. Don't wanna make the momma bear mad.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

sandahlpipe wrote: When Scottie answers, though. You'd better listen. Don't wanna make the momma bear mad.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
socrates

Post by socrates »

Thanks Scottie! I am going to be69 years old soon and celebrated our 49the anniversary while in the hospital a couple of weeks ago. Have definitely been around the block several times. I served in the military for 23+ years. When someone made me angry I had a tendency to stick my hand down their throats and grab a hold of something and pull my hand out to show someone the error of their ways. I'm now too old and inferm to continue to act like I did when I was in my middle sixties and earlier. I don't have much time left so I now concentrate more on doing the right thing rather than satisfying my ego.

I don't have a problem asking questions. Learned early in life if one needs to know ask. Used to make teachers upset if you can imagine that. I used the adage in all the many subjects I taught"the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked". Scottie you have been very kind in your post. Thank you very much.

Paul
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

LatakiaLover wrote:
sandahlpipe wrote: When Scottie answers, though. You'd better listen. Don't wanna make the momma bear mad.
DAMNED SKIPPY!!!
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Jedidiah is my son, Scottie.
Really? Well, shit....I gave it a lot of thought and really liked they way it sounded. Oh well, on to the next :LOL:
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

She shoots AND SCORES!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wdteipen wrote:Aren't there tu tu's in the nutcracker?
Normally yes. We had a limited budget for this production and had to cut corners somewhere. Thank you for understanding.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

d.huber wrote:
Normally yes. We had a limited budget for this production and had to cut corners somewhere. Thank you for understanding.
I'm blaming Obama.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wdteipen wrote:
d.huber wrote:
I'm blaming Obama.
I'm blaming congress.

-Tyler Beard
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

well shit... i'll say it. I BLAME THE CORPORATE OLIGARCHY!!!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

None of this would ever have happened if you had just stayed part of the British Empire.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

caskwith wrote:None of this would ever have happened if you had just stayed part of the British Empire.
We really should never have left Africa.

-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Well Sir, like any family it's dysfunctional, But now you are a part of it. Enjoy every moment.Now go make some pipes! :thumbsup:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

caskwith wrote:None of this would ever have happened if you had just stayed part of the British Empire.
Because we'd all be standing around confused, unable to communicate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNfcoda8yKM
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Because we'd all be standing around confused, unable to communicate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNfcoda8yKM

I'll have you know I understood captain picard perfectly.
Charl

Post by Charl »

We really should never have left Africa
Hoi! I'm still here! :lol:
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Well my tool arrived today and I have just been testing it out.

Personally I do not think it is a replacement for a good razor sharp HSS tool. The finish is rather good but not beyond improvement, turning speed had to almost doubled for best results and I can still see some turning lines due to the very small nose radius. Edge retention is probably going to be it's major selling point and that will only become evident with time so I'll report back on that.

For now I plan to use this as a stem roughing tool and continue with a dedicated HSS tool for facing.

For anyone new to pipe making on a metal lathe I would say this would make a good starter tool if you are having trouble grinding your own as it is not too expensive and will have it's uses in other projects, the shape is very nice and allows good access. I would however still promote learning how to grind your own tools from raw stock, it will be much better in the long run especially when you need something custom.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

LatakiaLover wrote:Let's see how long Premal can hold out in wind tunnel of combined Rad-hate and Bruce-hate... :lol:
3+ months. I need some love from Rod and Beaver.

PCD inserts from top tech tool in Canada. They are $21.00+ each, so not too bad for pricing. Good holders can be had from carbide depot.

Nate's disorder pays off sometimes. :twisted:
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies