Shaping tools

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
caskwith

Shaping tools

Post by caskwith »

I posted this on my facebook page as well to reach a wider audience, I'd be interested to know your thoughts and especialy if you chose a certain shaping system for a reason.

I enjoy watching pipe making videos on youtube, always interesting to see how others tackle certain aspects, especially since I rarely get the chance to visit other makers.
One thing that has got me curious of late is watching the shaping being done, I see many different tools being used, rasps, wheels, discs, dremels, knives. What I often wonder is are the tools chosen because they are the best to shape the pipe, or are the pipes shaped the way they are because of the tools available? It is clear when you see certain pipes that the "material removal system" has had a great effect on the style, shape and quality of the finish, sometimes in a good way, sometimes not.
caskwith

Re: Shaping tools

Post by caskwith »

Oh I'll add some (exaggerated) examples in case my point didn't make sense. Pipes shaped with rasps/files often are chunky, lacking refinement and need more material removed, this is because the method is hard work and time consuming.
Pipes shaped with dremels often have bumpy areas that should be flat/smooth, this is because the small wheels etc used can dig in and leave divots.
Pipes shaped with belt sanders/wheels can have digs from the corners and edges, also concave areas can be difficult.

Hopefully that gets my meaning across more.

I have probably been watching too many videos lol.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I start shaping either on the lathe or the sanding disc and dial in the shape with hand files. I like the precision from hand files in various shapes. I sometimes do use my Foredom if the shape has a lot of areas I can't reach with the sanding disc.

I've thought about building a slack belt sander to handle the concave areas better, but haven't made enough shapes that require it to warrant building one. In the meanwhile, when I do something with concave surfaces, I use 2" diameter sanding discs, curve-bladed carving knives, and lots of hand sanding
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

I drill first and shape almost entirely on a 5" disc sander at least until 320 grit. i'll use just the hard backing with a disc for low grits shaping and add a foam padd after shape is close to finialized. its good to keep a few dremel tools with different burs at easy reach for hard to get to places. files and sand paper just for quick finishing touch ups. haven't made a shape yet that required a lathe or a rasp or a knife, have a belt sander but it doesn't get used for pipes. as an efficiency junky i would almost always lightly touch up on a wheel than pick up a hand tool.
Albert.A

Post by Albert.A »

I always start of my shaping with a 5 inch hook-and-loop sanding disk chucked in my drill press, followed by hand files, followed by hand sanding. I guess the reason is that I find the precision increases whith every step so I end up with the smooth and precise result I'm looking for. Although, I would rather have my sanding disc mounted in a vertical position instead of the current horizontal one for the obvious reason that the disc itself currently blocks my view when working the briar, leading to constant checking of the shape.

Another reason for my shaping choises is of course availability, these are the tools available in the hardware stores here. I always find it facinating reading comments from the american guys on here, regarding tools, that says things like "You can find this and that in your local hardware store" and I just think to myself "my arse you can!" The perfect example is tapered drill bits for drilling stems. It doesn't seem to be a big issue in America, but here such a drill bit is basically unheard of.
I guess that's the downside of living in a country with a population of 9,5 million people, it's not a big enough market for almost anything specialized, so the hardware stores only carry stuff the general public might use around the household.

But other than that I like Sweden! :D
Perfection is key, but damn near impossible to achieve!

https://www.facebook.com/albertsmokingpipes
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

When I first started out, I watched TONS of youtube videos to see what techniques and tool setups I could possibly emulate. I still watch lots of videos, but more so now to see if there's anything I might have missed before, and there's always something I've missed the closer I watch. I think the fact that so many people in the videos, including many good and established pipe makers, use sanding disks, mounted in various different ways, had a big influence on me going that way. I was always in awe of how easy a lot of people make it look, so I've made it a goal to become proficient with the shaping disk. Each pipe I make I get more brave and find myself making more cuts with the disk that I normally would have done with files or Dremel. I still have a long way to go until my hands work as one with the disk, but the more I use it, the more I'm liking this method of shaping. Also, I use a combination of 5" and 2" disks in various grits depending on what I need.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

For me it really depends on the shape - I shape most basic shapes on the sanding disc and refine by hand. For some shapes I like using the belt sander, especially concave curves. Then there are the thousand and one little tools (foredom bits, rolled sandpaper, knives, files, etc.) that come handy for anything more complex.
In the last couple of months I made two chisels that I've gotten quite used to. The control over a chisel's cut is very high, I like them a lot for subtle detailing- they don't make bumps, don't leave scratches and they allow you to get into very tight corners.

Sometimes I laugh at myself for how many different tools and techniques I might use on a single shape, going back and forth between them. With complex shapes I will chase the shape I have in my head and the process goes like: rough shape with the sanding disc, refine with the belt sander, back to the sanding disc, then refine with hand files, go back to the belt sander, more filing, some dremeling, a bit of chisel work, back to the belt sander, more hand filing, and if I haven't fucked anything up I might then get to finally finish the pipe ;)