Starting holes

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
oklahoma red

Starting holes

Post by oklahoma red »

I am curious to see comments on starting holes (lathe or drill press).
A. Center drill
B. Spot drill
C. Neither
D. In deference to the materials we normally drill (which are much softer that what is encountered in the machine shop world), does it really make a hill of beans difference in the hole starting method?
Side comments on the size of hole being drilled would also be pertinent.
A random thought or two:
If you are "pre-drilling" is the point angle of your tool equal to the point angle of the ensuing drill bit? Logic would dictate the the angle be the same or as close as possible so that the cutting edge of the bit engages first rather than the point or shoulder.

How many out there eliminate the dedicated step of chamfering the end of the mortise by using a center or spot drill prior to drilling the mortise? In other words, run the tool in deep enough to make the chamfer OD larger than the mortise hole. Two birds with one rock.

And again I emphasize, does any of this make any difference in consideration of the end product?
sandahlpipe

Re: Starting holes

Post by sandahlpipe »

I just start with the drill bit, usually drilling mortise then airway and unless I'm drilling freehand, I start the chamber with the spade bit. As long as my drill bits are sharp and not bent, I've had great results. I don't see how it would make a big difference in the final product.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Always start a hole with a centre drill, for 4mm airways I use a 4mm centre drill, for 3mm in stems I use a 3mm centre drill. For the button end I have a 1mm centre drill and I have others for non pipe projects.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I start holes two ways:

1: Center drill on the tenon to begin drilling through the stem. I use a 5/16" center drill and over drill with it to make the chamfer in the end of the tenon.

2: Use a spring-loaded punch to create a starting point for hand drilling. I do this for the bowl and mortise.

If I drilling first I don't do anything. I drill full sized in a single pass for all three holes.