Installing quick change on Grizzly G4000

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
DrewEstateSam

Installing quick change on Grizzly G4000

Post by DrewEstateSam »

Has anyone that runs a Grizzly, or similar Chinese lathe installed the A2Z quick change toolpost? I broke down and ordered one the other day, along with all the other crap to mount it. Premal only recommended it a year and a half ago, I guess it's time. Now I am kinda fretting it's arrival. I know a piece or 2 requires machining from what I have read online. I have the machining capabilities of a squirrel, the only thing I know how to do on a lathe is turn it on, and destroy briar. Will I be able to do it? Eventually, sure. But, I am a trial and error kind of person. No directions, just do it, and do it, and do it again until it's right. Does anyone have any tips for me? Any good Recommendations = a cigar or 2 on me in Chicago, if I am there, or Columbus, or Nashville.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Re: Installing quick change on Grizzly G4000

Post by mredmond »

Sam, I have that lathe and tool post and it was pretty simple to install. I didn't machine anything (maybe I should have?) but I haven't had any problems with it. I also got the a2z hold down plate. Be careful not to over tighten the bolts on the plate...the t-nuts can break. You shouldn't have a problem.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Sam.
The machine work that is sometimes required (if you are lucky it might not be needed at all) is usually trimming the plate that goes into the slot on the compound. Every lathe is different so they supply a generic plate that may or may not need altering. Most of the time it is trimming 2 edges which you can do on a grinder with some patience. Hopefully it will not be too thick for the slot which will call for a milling machine. The threaded rod that runs thru the center of the holder's body screws into this plate. There will be a large nut on the top of the holder that, when loosened, allows you to turn the whole device to change the angle of your cutters as presented to the work piece. Definitely no cheater bar needed when tightening. Just get it good and snug so it cannot move on you as you are whittling away.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

This lathe on this site is not the Grizzly but all the mods will work. Look down thru the mods and you'll find the one for the QCTP mounting methods. Ideas can be gleaned from these and adapted to be used with your lathe and the tool post your using.

http://bedair.org/Toolpost/Toolpost9x.html

There are quite a few mods there. Some of which I've used on my Jet 9x20.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
DrewEstateSam

Post by DrewEstateSam »

Thanks guys, I'm sure more questions will arise from this. It is supposed to land Friday, hopefully I can set up this weekend
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I've actually done some of the mods on that page to my Jet lathe. You'll enjoy the net lathe....... I know I like having mine for more than just pipe making. And having the Quick Change Tool Post is something I like as well.
Pipe Maker in the Making!