Blasting

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
buster

Blasting

Post by buster »

Hello

Just wanted to get some input on blasting. Specifically blasting in my garage where the temps here in Ohio are all over the place. Is it possible? I may or may not be in a situation sometime this year to purchase a blasting setup. Another concern I have is no 220v in my garage. I do have a 220 receptacle in the basement that was once for an electric dryer now I have a gas dryer and don't need it. Can I use that receptacle with an extension cord?
sandahlpipe

Re: Blasting

Post by sandahlpipe »

Running a compressor on an extension cord is a bad idea. Running wiring for 220V isn't very difficult to figure out, and there are other things you tend to find that use 220V in the shop. You could put your compressor next to the outlet in your basement and run the air like out to the shop, though the longer the distance of hose, the less effective the blast if will be.

Also, you're unlikely to find an extension cord long enough to run to the basement, depending on how far it is. You can get dryer cords only to about 12' to begin with and if you search on electrical forums you'll find for good reason.

To regulate the temperature in your shop, you can get a space heater to keep it above freezing. I just finished getting my shop insulated and put in a ceiling heater that uses the same receptacle as my compressor, so can't run the heater at the same time as I blast. But getting some heat in your shop is so worth it, especially if you're keeping liquids like stain, shellac, and epoxy in your shop.

Hope that answers your question.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
buster

Post by buster »

Well my shop is in my basement. I was just trying to avoid lugging more heavy stuff down there. Also, there's the noise issue. Yes your response is helpful and thank you. Ive been reading some stuff about blasting and there seems to be quite a bit of dust. Can I use my wood dust collector or do you need a special one? Do you see any problems with putting a cabinet approximately 10ft. from my furnace?
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

You shouldn't have any problems with dust as long as you have a good dust collector attached to the cabinet. Most dust collectors will pull far more air out of the cabinet than you are putting in through the blast gun. I did have to put a little blanket padding over the vent to keep some media from spraying out but that is probably because of the way I was holding the pipe/gun and the location of the vent.

I wouldn't recommend using your wood dust collector though as the media is abrasive and will wear out the impeller and motor on ones designed for wood. DC's designed for blast cabinets have the motor after the filter to avoid this issue.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

buster wrote:Well my shop is in my basement. I was just trying to avoid lugging more heavy stuff down there. Also, there's the noise issue. Yes your response is helpful and thank you. Ive been reading some stuff about blasting and there seems to be quite a bit of dust. Can I use my wood dust collector or do you need a special one? Do you see any problems with putting a cabinet approximately 10ft. from my furnace?
A wood dust collector will work for the blasting dust. I just got a Laguna 16 gallon cyclone that I attach to my shop vac. The cyclone helps remove the dust and I can then recycle it instead of it getting sucked up into the shop vac. I suppose you can use your wood dust collector, but I'd recommend something to filter out all the sand so you can reuse it. There are cheap or DIY cyclones that you can get or make. It doesn't need to be anything fancy.

I have gotten electric shocks from my blast setup. I would make sure that you're properly isolating from flammable substances when you're placing your cabinet and compressor. I would think 10 feet away would satisfy that criteria.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
buster

Post by buster »

What cabinets do you guys have? What's the real deal with cfm and tank size? I see some 60 gallon compressors with 9-12 cfm. Is that enough air flow?
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I have a really really cheap crappy cabinet from Tractor Supply. It leaks REALLY BAD. I have always pulled it out on the driveway to sandblast a pipe. Yes, I do it all winter long. It was right around freezing here yesterday and I blasted a pipe at 11 in the morning. It isn't ideal and I wouldn't recommend it if you can afford better equipment, but it is possible.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I use the cyclone E-100 and its a great cabinet. It will leak a little without proper dust collection, but it does a good job and holds up well despite being plastic. The gun it comes with is also adequate though perhaps not ideal. And it's not too much more than the harbor freight one that doesn't work well at all.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
andrew

Post by andrew »

The e 100 cyclone cabinet is ideal for pipes, but too small for anything larger than a shoe... if you happen to plan on blasting anything larger than shoe size I'd go bigger. I have had the e100 cabinet for two or three years and it's great. No regrets.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If you want slightly bigger, the e-500 is the same basic thing. Just a bigger box. And the cost is about $50 more. Just an option if you're gonna blast your blue suede shoes.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Put your compressor next to your outlet and run an air line to your cabinet, further is better, the air line will act as an extra storage reservoir and it will be quieter for you.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

buster wrote:Can I use that receptacle with an extension cord?
Don't use an extension cord. Buy the proper wiring for your compressor in the proper length then buy the proper plug. Wire one end directly into your compressor's control box and wire the plug to the other end. Look up how to wire it all together safely and correctly.

Every time I blast I have to plug my compressor into the 30amp 220v dryer plug upstairs. Takes a 50' cable to reach it. Works great.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

caskwith wrote:Put your compressor next to your outlet and run an air line to your cabinet, further is better, the air line will act as an extra storage reservoir and it will be quieter for you.
Actually this is better.

-Tyler Beard
buster

Post by buster »

David

What compressor did you get? Does it run off the 30amp dryer breaker or did you change breaker size?
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

buster wrote:David

What compressor did you get? Does it run off the 30amp dryer breaker or did you change breaker size?
I got the Bellaire 2-stage 80 gallon. It runs happily on the 30 amp dryer breaker. No changes were made to the breaker.

-Tyler Beard
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Lets say you did this, put the compressor in the basement and ran the hose out to the garage. How long is too long? 100ft? 150ft? 50ft?
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Why would you want the compressor in the basement? It's loud and heavy. Running a new circuit out to the garage isn't all that hard.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

sandahlpipe wrote:Why would you want the compressor in the basement? It's loud and heavy. Running a new circuit out to the garage isn't all that hard.
Because the compressor is isolated from the dust of a workshop. Because if it's ice-cold in the shop the compressor won't work. Because compressors are loud and it's nice if they are in some other place when you are working. Would I put a compressor in my own basement? No. Because I have a wife and kids and my compressor weighs 700 pounds, and that's the reasons Sandahl is thinking it's crazy.

Click, for this application, hose length won't affect you much, you are moving enough air in a steady supply state that 100 feet won't matter. You will need some kind of moisture control pre-cabinet I'd think.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Thanks!

I'm not paying an electrician to run 220V out to my shed underground for $2000. Not gonna happen.
I have a nice 220V option in the basement, from the dryer outlet. And if I only blast for 20 minutes, I don't think my wife and kids will mind much. How loud are these things?

Louder than my lathe, laguna 1.5hp dust collector and powermatic PM1200 air cleaner all running at the same time? Those are all in my basement.
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

My compressor is loud enough you will want ear protection. A house wall will provide just enough noise reduction to where you can yell over the noise and have a conversation. I'd recommend ear protection for it if you have it in the same room as you. I put soundproofing insulation in the closet I built for mine to reduce the noise. You can still hear it in the house, but it's not too loud that way.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl