wood chisels

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
mightysmurf8201

Re: wood chisels

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I actually started out turning stummels with a 3/8" spindle gouge. Still do sometimes. I find that I can actually get it sharper than the carbide tip.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

wdteipen wrote:
Do you figure using a nailgun instead of a hammer to frame a house is cheating also? :D
Yep, not happy unless you hand forge the nails and bang them in with a rock! :lol:

I suppose my point was that i know if i had started turning with carbide scrapers i would never have bothered to learn how to use other turning tools, and i would have missed out on a load of useful skills.

Off to carve a pipe with my teeth.... tools are for the weak!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Oakbear wrote:
wdteipen wrote:
Do you figure using a nailgun instead of a hammer to frame a house is cheating also? :D
Yep, not happy unless you hand forge the nails and bang them in with a rock! :lol:

I suppose my point was that i know if i had started turning with carbide scrapers i would never have bothered to learn how to use other turning tools, and i would have missed out on a load of useful skills.

This brings up an interesting topic of discussion. Are pipemakers really wood turners? I hardly think most of us are. We learn specific skills to make a pipe using tools and similar methods as wood turners but we are also notorious for improvising and breaking wood turning rules to suit our specific needs. Many of us have no desire to learn to properly turn as a wood turner does. I'm not interested in making spindles, baseball bats, bowls, cups, vases, etc. I like making pipes. Whatever tools and methods get me there the fastest and cheapest is the way I'm going to go. That approach has served me quite well so far. That being said, I do get your point and for anyone who really wants to learn to turn they shouldn't take shortcuts. For those of us who just want to make pipes, shortcuts here will suit us fine. YMMV
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

wdteipen wrote:
Oakbear wrote:
wdteipen wrote:

This brings up an interesting topic of discussion. Are pipemakers really wood turners? I hardly think most of us are. We learn specific skills to make a pipe using tools and similar methods as wood turners but we are also notorious for improvising and breaking wood turning rules to suit our specific needs. Many of us have no desire to learn to properly turn as a wood turner does. I'm not interested in making spindles, baseball bats, bowls, cups, vases, etc. I like making pipes. Whatever tools and methods get me there the fastest and cheapest is the way I'm going to go. That approach has served me quite well so far. That being said, I do get your point and for anyone who really wants to learn to turn they shouldn't take shortcuts. For those of us who just want to make pipes, shortcuts here will suit us fine. YMMV
I think there is a very narrow set of skills that is a subset of both pipe making and woodturning. Some wood turning techniques work very well for pipe making, but in other instances they can actually get in the way. At least, they do for me. :P
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

I guess my view is woodturner-centric, as that is where i started.

When i got into pipes it dawned on me maybe i could turn one myself. I did a couple primarily using woodturning skills and they were pretty bad. Then i learned how to actually make pipes, and they got better. BUT, when i started using techniques other than turning i think i had a head start, as i knew how to use a lathe, how wood works, blade angles, proportion basics, drilling, how to sand etc. To be fair i could have started without any of them and learnt as i went.

I suppose they are those crossover skills. It no more makes pipe-making woodturning than wood carving or drilling. Pipe making is just about the product, and uses several sets of techniques to get there. Turning is just one type of technique, although many tuners use carving or finishing techniques in their work, the difference is that they may make a range of products.

I'd be quite happy if i was making pipes like yours though Wayne! Maybe i need some short cuts?! ;)