pin gauge set on sale

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
oklahoma red

pin gauge set on sale

Post by oklahoma red »

Here's a good buy on a pin gauge set (.062-.250) for anyone looking.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/special
pipedreamer

Re: pin gauge set on sale

Post by pipedreamer »

Thanks , I got one!!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I saw that one........ I'd pick one up if the extra $$ were available. Maybe another time.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Charl

Post by Charl »

I was wondering: 8mm is the mortise size I use most, with 10mm every now and then and on the rare occasion 6mm. Wouldn't that set then be more or less worthless to me? OK, it's in mm and not inches, but that doesn't really matter. The biggest in that set is 6.35mm.
I don't have a pin gauge set, but would eventually love to get one. Just trying to get the facts straight for the future.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Charl wrote:I was wondering: 8mm is the mortise size I use most, with 10mm every now and then and on the rare occasion 6mm. Wouldn't that set then be more or less worthless to me? OK, it's in mm and not inches, but that doesn't really matter. The biggest in that set is 6.35mm.
I don't have a pin gauge set, but would eventually love to get one. Just trying to get the facts straight for the future.
By all means you need to analyze your own requirements. If you rarely use anything under 6.5mm then go for the larger set (larger cost too). If you need a smaller one now and then, you can always make it yourself. Too bad one cannot buy individual pins. Probably 98% of either size set will never be used.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I buy pins individually, but I am also not buying in the West. I made a set from 6.0 to 6.9, 8.0-8.9, and the same starting at 10mm. The only set back is that I can only seem to find them in incriments of 0.1, but they work! I know this doesn't help.

Kiel
andrew

Post by andrew »

I buy my pins individually. Never had a need to buy a set, but I never do repair work. I would guess a set is an absolute necessity for that.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

This set is great for bamboo and other small tasks.

For those that buy one at a time, you're better at drilling than I am. I have two sets, this one and the .251-.500 set. I use them all the time, and I've proably used 50 from the bigger set, and 20+ from the set in the link.

As for metric -v- english units, it doesn't matter at all (as Charl noted). The point is you have a very slightly graduated set so you can get a just-right fit in whatever you've just drilled. You can ignore the "size", just use the one that fits.
Charl

Post by Charl »

I'm poor. I never throw any old bits away. Works a charm.
:lol:
taharris

Post by taharris »

Tyler wrote:This set is great for bamboo and other small tasks.

For those that buy one at a time, you're better at drilling than I am. I have two sets, this one and the .251-.500 set. I use them all the time, and I've proably used 50 from the bigger set, and 20+ from the set in the link.

As for metric -v- english units, it doesn't matter at all (as Charl noted). The point is you have a very slightly graduated set so you can get a just-right fit in whatever you've just drilled. You can ignore the "size", just use the one that fits.
Why didn't I think of using a pin gauge to help face Bamboo. :doh:

Thanks Tyler.

Todd