Bandsaws

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
batavia

Bandsaws

Post by batavia »

Will a 10 inch benchtop band saw ( with a decent blade) work for trimming briar? Thanks..
caskwith

Re: Bandsaws

Post by caskwith »

Any small bandsaw will be fine for trimming briar.
andrew

Post by andrew »

That will be fine. That band saw will probably be the most dangerous tool in your shop. Use it safely.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

It will do the job. But I love my old craftsman one. Got it used on Craigslist for $100 and it cuts much straighter than the table top ones I've used. Keep a sharp blade on it and don't use too much pressure.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I recently finally decided not to cheap out and spent the extra dollar or two on a wolf blade for my bandsaw. Makes a world of difference. Get good blades. Literally only a few bucks more than the cheap ones.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Massis

Post by Massis »

Doesn't have to cost more. In the UK there's a brand called "tuff saws". Ian, the owner, is great guy to deal with. They make your band saw to custom order, and they're by far the best bandsaw blades I've ever used.
Most guys over at woodworking.nl forums use them as well. I paid €30 ($35) for 2 blades including shipping from UK to Belgium. A single Metabo blade (original for my bandsaw) costs €24...
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Don't buy expensive blades if you intend to work with tough materials like Morta though, it's a false economy.
batavia

Post by batavia »

Thanks everyone.
andrew

Post by andrew »

caskwith wrote:Don't buy expensive blades if you intend to work with tough materials like Morta though, it's a false economy.
That is not something I would have guessed. Glad you said something.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

My cheap blades tend to last about a year. That's good enough for me. I also get 1/4" ones instead of 1/8". They don't do as well with tight radius cuts, but they cut straight lines better.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

andrew wrote:
caskwith wrote:Don't buy expensive blades if you intend to work with tough materials like Morta though, it's a false economy.
That is not something I would have guessed. Glad you said something.

Unless you have TCT teeth then they will wear out quickly on morta, good blades or bad blades will fare pretty much the same in this case.