cleaned my workshop

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Massis

cleaned my workshop

Post by Massis »

Three years after moving into my shop, I finally installed a dust collector. Now I have no excuses left to leave 5" of dust and debris everywhere, so I cleaned my shop and made some pictures.

Dust collector in the attic:
Image Image

Overview of the huge (2m90 x 3m80) shop:

My bandsaw and the 60L thien baffle barrel:

Installed the switch for the dust collector, moved my drillpress, beltsander and grinder into a decent spot:

My trusty old piece of crap lathe:

My main workspot with overhead lamp, sanding wheel, polishing setup and a small bench vice on which I do most filing and handsanding.

sandahlpipe

Re: cleaned my workshop

Post by sandahlpipe »

Nice setup!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Would that be a dental lamp on the swinging arm? I'd love to have several of them. No such thing as too much light. Nice compact shop.
Massis

Post by Massis »

oklahoma red wrote:Would that be a dental lamp on the swinging arm? I'd love to have several of them. No such thing as too much light. Nice compact shop.
Why yes it would :-) Got it from my father-in-law who's a dentist and moved out of one of his dental practices a few years back(he used to run 2).

Too bad it's a 24V - 150W lamp and he forgot to mention that to me when he gave it to me without a transformator. Lightbulb went boom when I hooked it up to 240V... And whilst the lamp has been mounted in my shop for well over a year now, I've never seen it work.

Finally got my hands on a transfo 2 weeks back, now I'm waiting for him to find his spare bulbs as he claims to have a bunch of them somewhere and they're not really cheap (around $20 each I believe).

There's no need for several in my case, this one can reach pretty much the entire shop :-D

Besides this beauty, I also have another spare arm like it which used to hold a mobile X-ray device which might get a spot later on when I finally buy myself a new lathe...
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Massis wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:Would that be a dental lamp on the swinging arm? I'd love to have several of them. No such thing as too much light. Nice compact shop.
Why yes it would :-) Got it from my father-in-law who's a dentist and moved out of one of his dental practices a few years back(he used to run 2).

Too bad it's a 24V - 150W lamp and he forgot to mention that to me when he gave it to me without a transformator. Lightbulb went boom when I hooked it up to 240V... And whilst the lamp has been mounted in my shop for well over a year now, I've never seen it work.

Finally got my hands on a transfo 2 weeks back, now I'm waiting for him to find his spare bulbs as he claims to have a bunch of them somewhere and they're not really cheap (around $20 each I believe).

There's no need for several in my case, this one can reach pretty much the entire shop :-D

Besides this beauty, I also have another spare arm like it which used to hold a mobile X-ray device which might get a spot later on when I finally buy myself a new lathe...
X-ray would come in handy. You could zap all your blocks and look for those pesky wood-boring worms. :lol:
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

oklahoma red wrote:X-ray would come in handy. You could zap all your blocks and look for those pesky wood-boring worms. :lol:
I'm sure if you could get such a machine working on blocks, you'd have a ripe market...
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

Sorry guys, I ment I have the arm as a spare, not the x-ray device :-)

He still has an x-ray though, for dental shots, but I'm not even sure you'd be able to see anything when trying it on a block of briar...
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

That scrappy lathe is the Myford Super 7 the lathe of kings and royalty ask Chris Askwith :thumbsup:
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Nice shop. Its too clean!
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Nate

Post by Nate »

Cool stuff!!
Massis

Post by Massis »

PremalChheda wrote:Nice shop. Its too clean!
That's because
A) for the first time in 3 years I completely cleaned it
B) the dusty shelves full of crap are behind me :lol:
C) I didn't use it between cleaning and taking the pictures
pipeguy wrote:That scrappy lathe is the Myford Super 7 the lathe of kings and royalty ask Chris Askwith :thumbsup:
Officially, yes. Technically, no it isn't. While most of it is a super 7, the cross & compound slide are from an ML7, lots screws and shims are missing, all the handles are missing their knobs and the covers no longer have hinges and/or are cracked beyond repair and I don't have the gears for automatic feed/thread cutting.
Also the motor is near to the end of it's life and lacks power, the tailstock isn't properly aligned, and the ways could use regrinding.

Restoring it to a point where I would call it a Super 7 again would cost me at least €1500 but more likely €2000. For €1500 I can buy a much more powerful Optimum Optiturn TU2506, which has 10cm more between centers, a better height, better motor (running on 400V vs 240V on the S7), larger bore, automatic feed and is properly aligned.

Yes, it'll be chinese made instead of UK made like the Super7, but Optimum is a pretty decent brand which checks and sets up each machine after it's delivered from China, replacing core parts with decent German replacements.
I think Optimum sort of compares to most chinese crap like precision matthews vs harbor freight.

So probably by this summer I'll be selling this Super7 for around €400 and buying myself an Optimum TU2506 10x22 Lathe:
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

That's a good plan. A super7 is good condition is an absolute pleasure to use, smooth, controlled and quiet. A shit one however is just scrap and it costs way too much time and effort to restore.
Massis

Post by Massis »

caskwith wrote:That's a good plan. A super7 is good condition is an absolute pleasure to use, smooth, controlled and quiet. A shit one however is just scrap and it costs way too much time and effort to restore.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts :-)

On a sidenote: I only paid €400 for this one, and it's my first lathe ever. I've made some pipes with it, learned what I like & dislike about it and if I can get €300 out of it again (+ some €€ for the extra's I bought like QCTP and chuck if I can't reuse them), I'll be happy.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Let me know of any accessories you are selling, I might already have it but never hurts to look :)
Massis

Post by Massis »

caskwith wrote:Let me know of any accessories you are selling, I might already have it but never hurts to look :)
The only stuff I have are a QCTP, a MK2 chinese crap drillchuck which I'd never try and get rid of to someone knowledgeable and a OneWay chuck with 2 #2 tower jaws in it which I use for grabbing on to briar blocks.

I might be able to reuse both the QCTP and the Oneway chuck, and if so there'll be nothing else to sell but the lathe.
But first I'll have to wait for my tax returns end of april. Belgian government owes me €5000...
Massis

Post by Massis »

So I've sold most of my super7 and I'll be shipping it to the UK this weekend.

The new lathe is in, but as it comes without shims I haven't really used it yet. I've mainly spent time staring at it while she spins.

Seeing as the old QCTP wouldn't fit the new lathe (even if I'd adapt it), I sold that aswell, and ordered myself this shiney new toy:

Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Massis wrote:

I just so happen to have a dentist friend...I will be looking into this! Great idea.
Massis

Post by Massis »

while it works now and it has an amazing gadget level, I'm not convinced a dental light is better than a few of these in the shop:

reason being high bulb price ($20 each), short lifespan (100-200h) and the fact the light is made for a mouth, so the lit area is rather small,even for pipemaking...
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Ha, you found some fool willing to take all your lathe shit then.
Massis

Post by Massis »

not ALL of it, silly guy didn't want the bed ;-)
Allthough the bed alone weighs less than 40 kgs I recon :-D