How to stamp your name/logo

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
oklahoma red

Re: How to stamp your name/logo

Post by oklahoma red »

Thomas Tkach wrote:I've seen the presses used by factories for stamping in some videos, and since I already own one of these, I wonder if it could be easily rigged to apply a stamp and allow for the rocking motion.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/colonna- ... orker.html

It caps and corks well enough!
The key words here are "easily rigged" and I could say very doubtful.
If you think you must have that kind of pressure then adapt something to fit a drill press or get a small arbor press and adapt that.
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

oklahoma red wrote:
Thomas Tkach wrote:I've seen the presses used by factories for stamping in some videos, and since I already own one of these, I wonder if it could be easily rigged to apply a stamp and allow for the rocking motion.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/colonna- ... orker.html

It caps and corks well enough!
The key words here are "easily rigged" and I could say very doubtful.
If you think you must have that kind of pressure then adapt something to fit a drill press or get a small arbor press and adapt that.
I though and tried the stamp on the drill press but the shank on the stamp is too long for mine.
Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

The reason I thought of this corker over a drill press is that in the videos I've seen (I can't remember which, but it was some factory like Dunhill or Peterson or something) the arm of the press wiggles back and forth as the shank is rolled to produce even stamping on the sides. I don't think a drill press should have that flexibility, but I think there's enough wiggle in the corker to do what was done in the video I saw, but enough rigidity to keep the stamp from moving from one side to the other. I have never stamped a pipe before and don't think I'll be making a pipe worth stamping any time soon, but it was a thought I had when watching the video.
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Thomas Tkach wrote:The reason I thought of this corker over a drill press is that in the videos I've seen (I can't remember which, but it was some factory like Dunhill or Peterson or something) the arm of the press wiggles back and forth as the shank is rolled to produce even stamping on the sides. I don't think a drill press should have that flexibility, but I think there's enough wiggle in the corker to do what was done in the video I saw, but enough rigidity to keep the stamp from moving from one side to the other. I have never stamped a pipe before and don't think I'll be making a pipe worth stamping any time soon, but it was a thought I had when watching the video.
I suggest the usage of either a drill press or arbor press to supply the force needed to apply the impression. For either of these (and the wine corker) you would need to devise an attachment that provides the "wiggle" you have seen in videos. If you had a single line stamp whose letters are not very tall you might get away with not needing the wiggle capability. The obvious factor in determining whether or not wiggle is needed (besides the overall height of the mark) is the diameter of the shank at the point of application. Now if you are making nothing but pokers or sitters then mark to your hearts content on the flat spot with no wiggle required.
What I have seen done is the usage of a padded V block or a set of rollers to lay the shank in and allow a bit of movement in rolling the stamp on. Things get wooly when you are dealing with bents. The factories can afford to make dedicated fixtures.
Best solution: save up your milk money and get a laser.