Matching motor, VFD and house current

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
batavia

Matching motor, VFD and house current

Post by batavia »

Looking to install a .5hp, 1800rpm motor with a VFD control. Is it advisable to connect this set up with my 110 current or should I run a 220 and them match the motor/device to that? Thanks guys. Dave
LatakiaLover

Re: Matching motor, VFD and house current

Post by LatakiaLover »

The only thing I know is a true VFD, as opposed to a rheostat speed control, requires a 3-phase motor.

The rest I leave to a friend of mine who has been in the VFD/industrial motor controls business for 25 years. 8)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Mark B.

Post by Mark B. »

Mine is running on standard 110 house current since last August. No problems. I think it only goes to 1250 RPM.

Disclaimer: I know next to jack-nothing about electricity.

andrew

Post by andrew »

The controller must be compatible with your power supply. They come in a variety of configurations, but we typically use 110 and 220 supply. The motor must be three phase if you are using a vfd (unless it's DC).
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Cheapest setup is going to be 110 in to VFD 3 phase out to 3 phase motor. .5HP motor is plenty. VFD needs to be rated for the HP of the motor so you'll want a 100v to 3 phase .5 HP VFD for your 3 phase .5HP motor. Speed isn't as big a factor since it's controlled by the VFD but 1725 or 3250 rpm will work fine. It's much more simple than it seems.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

The best bang for the buck is what is shown in Mark B's pic: Automation Direct motor and controller. I have two of these and they work great. Nate has several in his new shop and numerous others here also use them. Motor part number: MTR-P50-3BD36 (3600 rpm,230 volt, .5 HP 3 phase). Drive unit part number: GS1-10P5 (110 V single phase in and 230 volt three phase out to the motor). It is also available as 220 v input (GS2-20P5). The drive unit has a lot of programmable functions. The controller will overdrive the motor by a considerable amount if so desired. The motor can also be had in a 1800 rpm version.
If you are into shaping by wheel this is a great setup.
andrew

Post by andrew »

That's what I have with a 3/4 hp motor. It's fantastic.
batavia

Post by batavia »

Thanks for the great info. everyone.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Really with a 110v you could run a single phase or three phase 240v motor on a vfd. It is important to make the right selection. Regarding hp output and when being creative never select a vfd with bypass. It all has to do with amp draw and how you wire the drive. Credential 18 years Hvac service installed over a hundred drives. A speed controlled 5/8 shaft motor will be my next upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk