Yet another "this or that lathe" topic

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Yet another "this or that lathe" topic

Post by Tyler »

Mine has a brake. Same idea I guess. A brake is a GREAT feature.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

That would be a feature I wish I had, not needed for my collet chuck but would be very handy when running the 6" 4 jaw.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Is the clutch system on the myford via belt or gears?
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Massis

Post by Massis »

neither really, it's an actual clutch in the upper motorbelt pulley so that the motor belt no longer drives the main pulley, if that makes sense?

afaik it's a big pulley on a taper which engages and disengages that pulley
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Yep as mentioned above it's a bronze tapered clutch plate with spring arm attached to an eccentric lever.
Massis

Post by Massis »

So "this" lathe is what I bought. My new toy arrived today (more than a week late, taking at least 6 extra phonecalls to find out where the heck it was, and the extra jacobs chuck with MT2 spindle I ordered has gone missing completely)

Second time I ever tried moving a lathe by myself (although the last one was a lightweight at 90kg's, this one comes in around 130kg), went quite smoothly, and she's now sitting on the floor in my workshop - taking up pretty much 75% of said floor - until I can find at least 2 more guys to help me lift the old one off the workbench and the new one on top.
Charl

Post by Charl »

:wink: Is it the ladies model? That pink on the cross slide is a dead give-away!
Enjoy setting it up!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Have fun!

Be sure to devote some time to work on the sliding surfaces, a few hours deburring, stoning, cleaning and lubricating with quality products will pay great dividends down the line and it is so much easier to do it now while it is clean.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Charl wrote::wink: Is it the ladies model? That pink on the cross slide is a dead give-away!
Enjoy setting it up!
Actually they're quite clever at optimum: there's three small tins of oil & lubricant delivered with the lathe, marked in those same colours (white, black and pink) to make oiling easy for dumb f*cks like me... No idea why they chose pink but it's bright, funky and gives me an excuse to call my lathe 'her' ;-)