Specialty cut question

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
LatakiaLover

Specialty cut question

Post by LatakiaLover »

OK, lathesluts, what is the best way to create a tenon that has a tiny-but-sharp 45-degree bevel around its base?

I can think of several ways to go about it in cutter shape and direction of cut terms, but have no clue about the "right" way. Also, rubber isn't steel and my fundamentals book doesn't go into such a level of detail, anyway.

Grinding a specialized tip-thingie is no problem. Grinding I can do. :lol:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
PremalChheda

Re: Specialty cut question

Post by PremalChheda »

Grind a finishing tool with the profile you want.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

PremalChheda wrote:Grind a finishing tool with the profile you want.
Right.

But which way in would give a smoother face? Lengthwise, or from the side? How you approach it changes the shape of the tool.
andrew

Post by andrew »

My cutter does the face, chamfer, and tenon. I shape a tiny radius with a dremel for the chamfer you're looking for.
andrew

Post by andrew »

The cutting faces are not 90 degrees to each other. Slightly less, maybe 75. You just have to keep it sharp.
andrew

Post by andrew »

andrew

Post by andrew »

Tip is a tiny radius. I've tried to replicate it on the grinder, but I've never come close to the precision I can get with the dremel.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Think of a small wood parting tool and grind to the correct size.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

First go at it went OK.

I sharpened & polished the fabbed cutter so it left a nice finish on the tenon and angle cut. Once I make another that will do the same for the face, I'll be good to go, I think. :D

Thanks, guys.

Alden

Post by Alden »

Nice finish on the tenon! Looks like you need more relief on the side facing the stem so only a small point on that edge is cutting.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:First go at it went OK.

I sharpened & polished the fabbed cutter so it left a nice finish on the tenon and angle cut. Once I make another that will do the same for the face, I'll be good to go, I think. :D

Thanks, guys.

Question: are you stopping everything when you come to the end of your cut or are you stopping forward carriage movement then backing out the cross slide?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I thought for a while I'd have to make two tools, one for the tenon and one for the face. That would have meant "overlap", and though do-able, would have been a PITA.

So, I just decided to get jazzy with one cutter shape. "Once and done" was the goal: Remove 98% of the meat with a standard carbide "side cutting" triangle, then switch to the finishing one for a single swipe down the tenon (starting at the end) until you touch the face... then keep going far enough to create the fillet and back the cutter straight out sideways. No stopping, re-sets, cutter changes, or etc.

Worked on the first test. (you're lookin' at it) :D

I think it was one of those cases where not having a clue worked to my advantage. I just went to town on a bar of HSS with that Burr-King until the angles looked and felt like what I had pictured in my head, figuring the worst that could happen was snap off the tenon or something. (I can see Red and Alden cringing from here. :lol: )

Oh yeah, I used 1/2" rod to better expose any weaknesses in the tool or procedure. A flexy tenon, or the like. No problem if you keep yer shit sharp, apparently.

Thanks again for the feedback/input.

caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Nicely done George! You will be agreeing with me about lathes being best soon :P
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Nice & sharp :thumbsup:
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

If anyone has cause to go visit George here in the very near future you will most likely see something very strange in his front yard.
No cause for alarm as it is only his 10 ton Swedish meatball drill press that he turned into a lawn jockey. All of the decorative finials and do-dads were of course made on his recently acquired (I shudder at the thought) lathe.
His new business card reads: "Have Lathe, Will Turn". Wire Lathe Dude, KCMO.
I heard there is even a reality show in the works with Daisy as his side-kick.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

They already have their outfits picked out too....................God help us

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Sweet George. Are you taking orders?
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

scotties22 wrote:They already have their outfits picked out too....................God help us

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Damn, George you're looking mighty spiffy since I saw you last year. Must be the hair.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Hey. Laugh at my cat outfit all you want, but it ain't funny, man. :evil: I don't laugh at Red's 8" Texas belt buckle, or Chris's monocle and top hat. If ya feel it, ya gotta be it, ya know?

Besides, the reality show pay is good.

As for ditchin' The Meatball, it'll never happen because repair work uses HUNDREDS of molded stems of vastly different sizes, shapes, and profiles, and holding ALL of them rigidly enough to achieve a perfect cut while staying precisely aligned axially is exceedingly difficult and time-consuming with a lathe, and The Meatball can do it in a couple minutes.

So there.

oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:Hey. Laugh at my cat outfit all you want, but it ain't funny, man. :evil: I don't laugh at Red's 8" Texas belt buckle, or Chris's monocle and top hat. If ya feel it, ya gotta be it, ya know?

Besides, the reality show pay is good.

As for ditchin' The Meatball, it'll never happen because repair work uses HUNDREDS of molded stems of vastly different sizes, shapes, and profiles, and holding ALL of them rigidly enough to achieve a perfect cut while staying precisely aligned axially is exceedingly difficult and time-consuming with a lathe, and The Meatball can do it in a couple minutes.

So there.

Hmmm, going down the Bruce Jenner path I see.