Help With Tool List

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
clickklick

Help With Tool List

Post by clickklick »

In an attempt to make myself some pipes since I can no longer afford the pipes that I like to buy, I am trying to put together a list of the equipment I will need. I am hoping to pick up some supplies at the Chicago show next week. But threw this list together. Please provide input or add to the list. About the only optional thing I'm thinking right now is the sandblaster. Not sure what I'm missing, but from my research so far, this seems to be the glaring tools.

Material:
Briar – Blocks from Mimmo. I have only heard good things about Mimmo briar, and I have heard nothing else about any others. So this seems the best bet in getting good wood blocks. 20 blocks ($470) from Romeo Wood
German Ebonite – Stem Material. Overall this material is more comfortable in the mouth, but also tends to need more upkeep than acrylic. I would need to play with this to match most of my high grades. 25mm X 20” ($65) from pipemakers.org
Lucite – Stem Material, Shank Adornment. This material is harder feeling in the mouth but easier to keep looking good. It comes in flashier colors as well. 7/8” X 18” ($16.95) from pipemakers.org
Delrin – Self lubricating material for tenons. Black Acetol CoPolymer Rod 1” X 12” ($7.55) from amazon.com
5 min clear epoxy – securing shank extensions/delrin tenons. Devcon 5min ($6.09) from amazon.com
Super Glue – securing shank extensions/delrin tenons. (2.99) from local store
Rough Shaping:
Small Bandsaw – Cutting the ebauchon into rough pipe shape. This seems the easiest way to make the initial shape of the pipe. 2 1/2 HP 9” Benchtop Band Saw ($129.99) from harbor freight
Sanding Disc - Creating rounded shapes. Seems to me I need something to spin the disc. J-Alan looks like he has a nice soft acrylic backed sanding disc. Would need the discs and 3M adhesive spray as well. Acrylic Disc ($80) from pipemakers.org, Disc Paper ($22.00) from pipemakers.org
Metal Lathe – Turning the bowl and shank, and shaping the stem. A small one should work, although I’ve never actually used one. Central Machinery 7X10 mini lathe ($509.99) from harbor freight
Calipers – For measuring diameters. 6” digital ($15.99) from harbor freight
Ruler – For measuring lengths. 12” SS Ruler ($1.99) from harbor freight
Drilling:
Spoon Bits – J Alan makes some for boring out the bowl.7/8” ($110) from pipemakers.org
4MM Drill Bit – For the draft hole
4MM tapered Bit – for the stem airway
Assorted Bit sizes - for drilling mortise.
CounterBore bit – for boring mortis/tenon end. Forstner bit?
Final Shaping:
Rasp File – wood shaping and stem shaping. File and Rasp 12pc Set ($12.99) from harbor freight
Needle Files – Button shaping and polishing. 12pc Needle File set ($3.99) from harbor freight.
Zig Zag Saw – Button Tapering. Kemper K32 ($6.11) from amazon.com
Dremel with disc – Shaping Button slot and possibly shaping bowl and stem. Heavy Duty Variable Speed ($24.99) from harbor freight
Sandpaper – Various grits 100 through 1200.
Dust Collector – 70Gal 2HP Dust Collector ($209.99) from harbor freight
Finishing:
Buffing Wheel – old dryer motor
Buffs and wax – BeAll Kit ($75.95) from pipemakers.org
Stain – Stain Kit ($59) from pipemakers.org
Rustication tool – Nails mounted in a handle
Tape – Protect logo or stem etc
Sandblaster – For sandblasting finishes. Portable Abrasive Blaster ($34.99) from harbor freight, Bench Blast Cabinet ($127.99) from harbor freight
Stamp – To make it feel complete with a personal logo. Cost (???) from Buckeye Engraving.
Heat Gun – Bending Stems and helping with stamping. 1500W Heat Gun ($14.99) from harbor freight
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
Sasquatch

Re: Help With Tool List

Post by Sasquatch »

So how the HELL is this saving you any money?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Good question. One I've asked myself since putting the list together. Especially now realizing a 9 x 20 lathe would be better.

Startup investment would pay for itself if I'm buying 4 or 5 $500 pipes per year.

Maybe to make it feasible I'd have to sell some for peanuts on the side.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

These tools will do the job, but remember, tools don't make the pipe. It takes the average person a year or two before their pipes look like pipes should.

The one thing I would add that will make your work easier is invest in quality pillar files and sandpaper. The cheap files will work, but you will have a much easier time keeping lines straight with good files. Nicholson 1/2" wide pillar files in #00 and #2 and a couple needle files will do for starters. A 3mm round file is also nice for the bowl/shank junction.

Before you go buying all these tools, I would recommend trying your hand at it either with a pipe kit and some basic shaping tools and sandpaper. No sense investing a couple grand into a setup until you know if you'll keep on doing it. Are you attending the pipe making seminar in Chicago? That would also be a good way to "try before you buy".

It has taken me a solid 3-4 years of making pipes to acquire most of the tools on your list. When I started, I was using a hand drill, files, and sandpaper. Every pipe maker has a different shop setup. You will learn what works for you as you get into it.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

Unless you're a pipe making savant, making a $500 pipe will take you a while to learn.
The list is a good start, but if your goal is to save money, don't buy all that equipment. If you want to make pipes, have fun and welcome to the forum ;)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Oh. And for sandblasting, you can forget about it unless you have a 60gallon 2-stage compressor and the Cyclone E100 at minimum. Anything less and you'll be there for weeks trying to get a good blast.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

All good info. Thank you. I'm not expecting to ever make 500 dollar pipes. I'm fairly lost on how to cut the tenon and face things nicely without a lathe.

I could not get enough time off of work to attend the seminar at Chicago. But you suggestions have me rethinking this. I could probably get by with a drill press, bandsaw or scroll saw, disc sander, files and sandpaper for most of it.

And as for the sandblaster I'll have to make do with rustication to cover flaws in the wood for now. What kind of motor should a be looking for to spin the sanding disc?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

While applaud your research and willingness to jump in with both feet please do this first (assuming you can't find a local maker to work with)

Come up with a rough sketch of the pipe you plan to make then pay one of the established pipe makers here to drill you a couple of blocks with rod stock fitted to your rough design. (this will not be cheap, probably the cost of a mid grade factory pipe at least)
Buy the hand tools you need, file, rasp, sandpaper etc and get cracking on those blocks.
The drilled blocks may cost a fair bit but they will be a LOT cheaper than the lathe and briar you WILL waste trying to drill your own in the beginning.

After you have finished say half a dozen pipes in this manner you will have gained a huge amount of practical knowledge and you will have a much better idea of whether the investment will be worth it in the long term. Best part of all is that if you hate it or are just plain useless (harsh but true in some cases) you have a handful of hand tools and some ugly but well drilled pipes at the end of it.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

What Chris said.
Buying all the tools and materials at once will just leave you standing in front of a pile of stuff that you have no idea how to use- nobody does at first.
Even just making a couple pipes from pre-drilled blocks (or ones that you drill yourself with a hand drill and a vise just to see how briar responds to tools), will give you a completely different perspective, a more informed one. There is a gigantic leap between what you know now and what you will know after just one or two pipes.

On the other hand it's just a piece of wood with some holes, so have fun, don't expect too much at first and enjoy the process!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

For a sanding disc motor, I use the ones you buy from Harbor Freight for $100. You can use just about any motor with a 1/2" arbor and around 1700rpm, though, as long as it spins in the right direction. Eventually, I'm going to switch over to VFD's, but since what I have works, it's not worth it yet.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Thanks for the encouragement and reality check. I will be stopping at the Vermont freehand area at Chicago for various supplies to play with. Pretty exciting at this point. I will continue to research in the meantime.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Yea.. What Chris said... It's not often an Englishman makes any sense with their advice.. But he's spot on ... At least this time...

I'd add a dremel... You can do a lot with that... And if Pipemaking ain't your gig... You can use it for other stuff also

James
Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

Steve from Vermont Freehand made three kits for me for not much money at all. I made the designs, picked stems from his stock on eBay, and he picked and drilled the blocks and turned tenons for me for $66 total. I finished one (my avatar) and am working on the second (no winter work because of class and my shop being my porch). If you're wanting to get started cheap to test the waters, that might be the way to go.
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Thanks guys. Turns out my dad has a band saw and drill press I can use. Is there a laser I can get to mount onto the drill press to aid in centering? They are both from the 80s but work.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I have a drill press that has a laser built in. I never use it, because you need to line up the bottom of your hole with the drill bit as well as the top. Draw your lines on the block and line them up with your drill bit in the chuck. You may need a vise for the drill press. I got a $20 vise for mine from the hardware store and it works just fine.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

I assume with the drill press you need to drill before shaping. Do you use anything between the vise and the briar? Also, when I sand the pipe to shape it, will a shop vac work to catch the dust?
andrew

Post by andrew »

Shop vac is better than nothing, but get yourself a respirator. Unless you put a hepa filter on the shop vac it won't catch fine particles well.
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

How bad is briar dust?
I'm setting this up in my basement. I don't want to contaminate the whole house with dust.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Get a predrilled block and just make a pipe. You'll soon enough know if you're hooked or not.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If you're really concerned about the fine particles of briar dust, go over to Woodcraft. They sell micron dust bags that fit over a small fan for about $30. Those will catch what the shopvac doesn't. If you decide to go all out, a dust collector is worthwhile along with a proper air filter. Both are expensive and neither will help you make better pipes. You can also get some foam to seal up the room and wear a respirator while you're working. Breathing a little briar dust won't kill you, but if you're doing it for years, it could harm your health. If you can open a window, do it.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl