Help With Tool List

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
pipedreamer

Re: Help With Tool List

Post by pipedreamer »

Briar dust can kill you! This is why all the fuss over trapping it.The fan sock sold by woodcraft will help and a shop=vac with a hepa filter also. They sell a separator for a large or small garbage can and the connectors and hoses. You can get creative, but the dust can give you Bronchitis, COPD, bacterial infections and anaphylactic shock in some people.You might want to go to a show and talk to people and get ideas, or research the Forum better. It's all there!!! I wear a mask and run my collectors when making Briar dust or shavings. Make a lot of pipes, you can figure out most of it. :thumbsup:
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Thanks everyone! I am waiting until the show to buy some materials to play with. In the mean time, I'm setting up and area in my basement for a small workshop. I am also into electronics so if I decide I don't like working with wood, I can just transfer it over to my electronics shop. I've been able to source a drill press, scroll saw, band saw, and a wood lathe for no cost. So I have nothing invested at the moment. But when my OCD kicks in, I tend to jump in head first. One of my first visits at the show will be to the Vermont Freehand table to buy supplies to try things out. I'll post a pic of my setup and then updates as I start making my first pipe. I'm going to try and make myself, father, and a couple friends a few. Vermont freehand looks like they have some nice kits so I'll see them in person at the show!

Pretty excited. I think for now a shop vac with a hepa filter is the cheapest option and should be ok. I noticed that most videos I've watched seem to use the vac system during buffing as well. Worst case, for the first couple I do the sanding out in the garage.
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

While briar dust can kill you, it's not going to happen from making a pipe or two. It's a cumulative effect thing. I just don't think people need to invest all sorts of money into dust collection and air filtration unless they start to get serious about it. My advice is to wear a dust mask or respirator to start off and buy a good air filtration system and dust collector when you can afford it.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com