Mandrel for Buffing with a bench grinder.

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Rbraniganpipes

Mandrel for Buffing with a bench grinder.

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

I recently purchased a Beall Tool Co. buffing kit, which came with a mandrel to attach the buffing pads to my slow speed bench grinder. I purchased a second mandrel for the opposite side of the grinder so that I could have two discs on at the same time, making things faster. I am having a problem with the mandrel on the left side of the bench grinder, as the buffing pads continue to come loose and fly off when buffing due to the fact that the mandrel is not reverse threaded.

Does anyone know if Beall or any other company makes a mandrel that is reverse threaded? I am able to use the second mandrel i purchased on my new buffing motor setup, but would like to buy a reverse threaded one if I can find one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
R.Branigan Pipes
RDPowell

Re: Mandrel for Buffing with a bench grinder.

Post by RDPowell »

Rbraniganpipes wrote:I recently purchased a Beall Tool Co. buffing kit, which came with a mandrel to attach the buffing pads to my slow speed bench grinder. I purchased a second mandrel for the opposite side of the grinder so that I could have two discs on at the same time, making things faster. I am having a problem with the mandrel on the left side of the bench grinder, as the buffing pads continue to come loose and fly off when buffing due to the fact that the mandrel is not reverse threaded.

Does anyone know if Beall or any other company makes a mandrel that is reverse threaded? I am able to use the second mandrel i purchased on my new buffing motor setup, but would like to buy a reverse threaded one if I can find one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Might want to check out Caswell.
http://www.caswellplating.com/
rdpipes.briar.club
andrew

Post by andrew »

Do you have a metal lathe yet?
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Andrew,

I don't have a lathe yet. Hopefully some day in the future I will. I just recently got my first motor to begin using sanding discs for shaping. I took one of the Buffing Combination 1/2" - 5/8" Adaptors that i purchased from Beall off of my bench grinder to attach to the motor shaft and use to attach my sanding discs to for quick detachment. (see adapter picture below). A my sanding disc will be spinning counter clockwise, this will work perfectly.

The adapter comes in righthand thread only, and was attached to the arm of the bench grinder with two set screws. The problem with this is that when it is placed on the left side of the grinder it spins clockwise. The clockwise spinning causes the buffing pad to come loose from the attachment, and thrown across my shop. I am looking for a left hand threaded adapter that will allow me to quickly switch between buffing pads.

The most obvious suggestion would be to get a lathe, but at this point in my pipe making, I am not financially prepared for that, nor have the space.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (3.16 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
R.Branigan Pipes
Charl

Post by Charl »

Over here in SA, the jewellery supply places have mandrels that can fit on both sides of a grinder. I don't know if it will be the same over there, but I suppose it might be worth the try to check it out.
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

If you manage to find or make the adapter don't forget to get left handed bolts to replace the right hand thread ones in the buffing wheels.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget