Belt sander

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
buster

Belt sander

Post by buster »

Anyone try this or heard of this?

http://www.magicsander.com
finster

Re: Belt sander

Post by finster »

Seems interesting because of potential versatility, but it looks pretty pricey compared to benchtop belt sanders and especially belt/disc combos- you can find cheapies on ebay for half the price this product.
buster

Post by buster »

True. But this can be variable speed. I was thinking along the lines of a mini slack sander.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

This is as good or better and a lot cheaper. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/ ... ch_28_2015

I made up a similar rig and attached it to a 4" HF grinder, and added speed control with a router controller. The grinder was $20 on sale, the router controller I already had, the Delrin wheels and the other pieces and parts cost me less than $10. But I do have a good scrap pile where I get my pieces and parts for these build your own tools. If I had to buy everything including the controller I would have spent less than around $75. $20 for the grinder, $33 for the controller and about $10 for the piece of aluminum, plus the belts

A better speed controller is my Foredom controller, but I have 2 bum legs and I can't work the foot pedal as good as the dial on the router controller.
andrew

Post by andrew »

You can make yourself a nice vfd belt dander for that amount.
buster

Post by buster »

I just thought this might be some food for thought for folks like me who are unable to build their own machinery/tooling.