Buffer / Grinder Advice

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Mtlayne

Buffer / Grinder Advice

Post by Mtlayne »

My buddy recently gave me his old buffer/grinder. It still works. Up till now I have been making my pipes with my hands and some dremel action. Getting really tired of it. What do i need in order to incorporate this buffer/grinder into my pipe making process. Im hopping that this will help me speed things up. Will a flap disk work well or do i need some sort of disc? What do you guys recommend that I do.

http://1drv.ms/1R4qVEz that is a pic of the buffer/ grinder.

Thanks,
RDPowell

Re: Buffer / Grinder Advice

Post by RDPowell »

What RPM is it, it looks like one I had from Harbor freight, it was 3400 and less then 1/3HP and ran so hot you could literally fry an egg on it.
These stop the minute you put any pressure on them, at least the one I had did. If so not a good candidate for a buffer or a sanding machine
in my opinion. Although some may not agree with me here. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Mtlayne

Post by Mtlayne »

3/4 3600 rpm
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Mtlayne wrote:3/4 3600 rpm
I'd say it might work as a sander for ya but, as a buffer for pipes in my opinion it's just to fast.
rdpipes.briar.club
Mtlayne

Post by Mtlayne »

I think it has two speeds. What attachment would you recommend i get for it?
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Mtlayne wrote:I think it has two speeds. What attachment would you recommend i get for it?
Considering the length of the shafts on it I don't think a Beal system will work well being the length of there arbor.
I use whether it be unconventional or approved by many here a standard disk. You can pick them up to fit the threads
on your machine I believe at most Lowe's or Home Cheapo's. Others may have a better solution to your question. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Mtlayne

Post by Mtlayne »

Do they make like a padded flexible disc that will fit on it you think?
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Mtlayne wrote:Do they make like a padded flexible disc that will fit on it you think?
You can check is about all I can say, the worldwide web can be a great place to run down stuff without even leaving the house, I know being a confirmed hermit. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Mtlayne

Post by Mtlayne »

haha i am looking man. Trying to find the right technical term to put into the old google is kiccking my butt
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Mtlayne wrote:haha i am looking man. Trying to find the right technical term to put into the old google is kiccking my butt
Here's what I do when this happens to me. Like in your case it's a sanding disk, just type sanding disk and see what it brings up.
If someone didn't know that it would be called a disk, just typing in sanding would get ya there sooner or later. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Some google-fu for searching for tools : use the image search and go from there. It's much easier to find a similar tool on a photo and then find out it's name from the site that hosts the pic, than to just find it by it's name (that you may not know).
Mtlayne

Post by Mtlayne »

Haha Im bout to the point where im just gonna order a grizzly belt disc sander combo than waste time looking for a disc that will fit on a 3/4 arbor that is flexible.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Mtlayne wrote:Haha Im bout to the point where im just gonna order a grizzly belt disc sander combo than waste time looking for a disc that will fit on a 3/4 arbor that is flexible.
Sometimes no matter how we try to save a little it ends up costing us more to try and re-purpose something then to just go buy the darn thing.
Unless your a pack rat like me. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Mtlayne

Post by Mtlayne »

Ha ha no im no pack rat, least i can still use it for its intended purpose... polishing hahah