Lathes and beating the dead horse

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Camaraderie

Lathes and beating the dead horse

Post by Camaraderie »

I apologize in advance because I know questions like this are so common. But even after reading thread after thread, articles on pipepedia, and other things, I'm unsure what to do.

I'm a complete amateur with only 4 pipes under my belt but I'm ambitious and my fingers are blistered from trying to achieve perfect round shaping with files and sandpaper. I'm going to build my own disc sander at the end of the summer but I still would really like a lathe. I'm a student without a ton of money and I like doing most things DIY because of cost, but a lathe is far beyond my capabilities.

Like I said, as a student, I can't spend a ton of money. I've looked on ebay and craigslist (in kansas city and Chicago, the two places I'll be this summer) and with my limited experience, I just don't know how to make heads or tails of the cheaper lathes I find on there.

What I'd like to spend:
$200-400 on the probably used lathe, plus another $100 on tools/chucks... Is this unreasonably low?

What I know:
Jet Mini Lathes are recommended
Atlas Lathes are recommended
Delta Midi Lathes are recommended
HF and other Chinese are not recommended, especially for beginners

What I don't know:
Any lathes I find on craigslist are usually old models and I have no clue if they're decent or usable for pipemaking purposes.
Some that I've found:
Speedway 12x36 Wood Lathe, $200
Tool Shop 1000M/M Wood Lathe, $125
Yorkcraft Wood Lathe 12x36?, $350
(Can't identify brand) Wood Lathe 12x36, $350
Delta/Rockwell 46-201 Wood Lathe w/ 5 Crown Turning Tools, $350
Jet Mini Lathe with 2 - 4 jaw chucks, drill chuck, and assorted tools., $250
Craftsman 36" Lathe W/ Copy Crafter, $350
JET JWL-1015, 10x15 Wood Lathe, $480
This last one seems sketchy to me since it's new and free shipping on eBay but lots watching it:
10x18 Mini Turning Wood Lathe MT-2, $250

I apologize once more for the million results/questions. I just really don't want to buy something that will turn out to be useless for me.
You all are experienced woodworkers and I'd love follow your recommendations!
Thank you in advance for any wisdom!
sandahlpipe

Re: Lathes and beating the dead horse

Post by sandahlpipe »

If you have time on your side, look at your local Rockler or Woodcraft. I went to mine and picked up one that was like 30% off because it was last year's model. Some of the best pipe making money I've spent. I got the one way chuck and tower jaws, and it worked fine with just a $25 drill chuck off Amazon. I would recommend the tower jaws from Smokingdawg (Steve) instead of the one way jaws, since they hold the block in the center of the jaws, whereas the one way jaws hold on either side of center, making it harder to line things up properly.

http://www.rockler.com/jet-jwl-1015-10-x-15-wood-lathe

If you're going to use this lathe for stummel shaping as your main machine, don't feel guilty to spend the money on making sure it's solid. You'll save a lot of frustration by getting the right one.

As for getting used off Craigslist, my recommendation is to look for the specific brand or brands you listed. The designs that implement round bars instead of a flat surface for the tail stock to travel on are not recommended. Those are good for turning table legs, not pipes.

Also, pick up a flat scraper tool and that should be about all you need.

Good luck!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Camaraderie

Post by Camaraderie »

sandahlpipe wrote:If you have time on your side, look at your local Rockler or Woodcraft. I went to mine and picked up one that was like 30% off because it was last year's model. Some of the best pipe making money I've spent. I got the one way chuck and tower jaws, and it worked fine with just a $25 drill chuck off Amazon. I would recommend the tower jaws from Smokingdawg (Steve) instead of the one way jaws, since they hold the block in the center of the jaws, whereas the one way jaws hold on either side of center, making it harder to line things up properly.

http://www.rockler.com/jet-jwl-1015-10-x-15-wood-lathe

If you're going to use this lathe for stummel shaping as your main machine, don't feel guilty to spend the money on making sure it's solid. You'll save a lot of frustration by getting the right one.

As for getting used off Craigslist, my recommendation is to look for the specific brand or brands you listed. The designs that implement round bars instead of a flat surface for the tail stock to travel on are not recommended. Those are good for turning table legs, not pipes.

Also, pick up a flat scraper tool and that should be about all you need.

Good luck!
Thanks again, Jeremiah, for your advice and PMs.

I decided to go with this one because everything seemed to align. I'll be driving by the pick-up for it on the way to Chicago next week.
Jet JML 1014I with a Precision Chuck for $300

Hope it was a good choice! Any advice appreciated. Jeremiah already advised me about tower jaws. I'll look into those custom ones soon!
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Camaraderie wrote:
What I know:

Jet lathes are made in China. China made equipment can be very good for the price.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Camaraderie

Post by Camaraderie »

PremalChheda wrote:
Camaraderie wrote:
What I know:

Jet lathes are made in China. China made equipment can be very good for the price.
Shows you just how much I know about lathes! ;)
I guess I went Chinese then :P