Show me your work shop

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Veritas

Show me your work shop

Post by Veritas »

I did a search for a workshop thread but couldn't find one. I'd love to see pics of everyone's setup, links to vids, etc. I promise to reciprocate after moving into our new home. Mine will be a work in progress for a while but that's the fun part
caskwith

Re: Show me your work shop

Post by caskwith »

I have a youtube channel that shows several tools in action. Just search for Askwith Pipes.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Visit people's websites.. Most have workshop pics... And follow Chris' advice... He, J. Alan, and Ludwig Lorenz have shop videos out there

James
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I've got a thread on here where I'm showing progress on my new shop. I'll post some pics when I'm done as well.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
HLJ3

Post by HLJ3 »

Here is a link to photos of my shop in progress and stages of construction and evolution of my slack belt sander that I designed and fabricated myself. It started out as 2"x100" with two Idlers, but wound up as 2"x72" with one idler/tracking wheel. Belt speed is 466 fpm.
I'm getting a PM1030V Lathe and a 2 jaw Chuck in the next couple of months, which will finish my shop equipment.
HL

http://imgur.com/a/eH5A3
Last edited by HLJ3 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Same here, I LOVE workshop pictures, so I've seen most of the makers' websites :-)

There's a tour over on my site as well: massispipes.com, not that my shop is big enough for a tour. You just stand in the middle and turn a full circle :-D
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I've made lots of changes in my shop and actually have two in one. I also do a lot of different things. I'll have to take and post a few pictures when I get home from this work trip.

I have the tools to do mechanics, metal fab, wood working and also a small machine shop with a lathe and a small mill.

I don't have a web site as I'm out in the sticks so don't even have internet other than on my phone. So I'll have to post pictures up.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

HLJ3 wrote:Here is a link to photos of my shop in progress and stages of construction and evolution of my slack belt sander that I designed and fabricated myself. It started out as 2"x100" with two Idlers, but wound up as 2"x72" with one idler/tracking wheel. Belt speed is 466 fpm.
I'm getting a PM1030V Lathe and a 2 jaw Chuck in the next couple of months, which will finish my shop equipment.
HL

http://imgur.com/a/eH5A3
Nice compact shop. Sander looks pretty neat too.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Workshop photos are great! Not as fun as visiting workshops in person, but either way it's great to see how someone has solved the various challenges. I'm pretty happy with mine these days, but I still discover ways to improve it. Here is a link to my workshop tour page: http://www.sethilepipes.com/workshop-tour

One big improvement I don't have pics up for yet is a keezer for home brew!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Scott,
The piano desk is fantastic.
Wish you were able to have the dust collector and air compressor somewhere else! Can you hear me?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

A Persian rug and a leather club chair... That's completely insane in the best possible way. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sethile

Post by sethile »

baweaverpipes wrote: Wish you were able to have the dust collector and air compressor somewhere else! Can you hear me?
Bruce? Is that you? Hang on, let me shut off the compressor and dust collector. There we go... I've thought about trying to build a shed for them, but the only spot outside is also the best place to grow tobacco, hops, and tomatoes. The dinning room is on the other side, but I'm guessing Kathy might object to that location :wink:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

We share the same type of book cases Scott. I can tell you love your lathes also. That chair , you could sleep in that beauty! lol!!! Keep the Wife happy, because i see you still have
some space!!! :D
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

After the tour of Scott Thile's and Maddis' shops, I am feeling impressed, envious, and thoughtful.
I am presently working in my carport with tarps hung on 3 sides. It keeps my stuff dry and thats about it. Working there in low teen weather is interesting even in my snow suit with 2 kerosene heaters going. I do have a basement but am also an ammo reloader and can't smoke there.
I am also a messy worker and my tools are scattered across several benches.
When I decided to make pipes again, I had to clean 33 years worth of stuff out of the carport, build shelves, then set up my tools. By then (December 2015) I was tired of housekeeping and jumped into pipe making.
Seeing these shops is an inspiration to clean up my act/shop. Walls go up this spring and more shelves will get built. I also have an old lathe and will start on cleaning that up.
I am grateful for the tours, thank you gentlemen. I now have a slew of ideas on how to organize my stuff.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Now, I'm ashamed! After reading what you said Doc, I'm going to have to get off my ass and give myself more room. Hell, I bitch if it rains, or it's too cold (anything under 68)...
Billy Klubb

Post by Billy Klubb »

sethile wrote:
baweaverpipes wrote: Wish you were able to have the dust collector and air compressor somewhere else! Can you hear me?
Bruce? Is that you? Hang on, let me shut off the compressor and dust collector. There we go... I've thought about trying to build a shed for them, but the only spot outside is also the best place to grow tobacco, hops, and tomatoes. The dinning room is on the other side, but I'm guessing Kathy might object to that location :wink:
by chance are you a home brewer as well?
There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?
Massis

Post by Massis »

DocAitch wrote:After the tour of Scott Thile's and Maddis' shops, I am feeling impressed, envious, and thoughtful.

DocAitch
Who's that? :lol:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Veritas ---

This is a repair shop, not a carver's shop, but there's some crossover.

There have been some machine upgrades & miscellaneous additions since these were taken a couple years ago, and shipping/fulfillment, a small lathe, and a lightbox photo setup are in a neighboring room, but that's common stuff so never took a pic of it.

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Charl

Post by Charl »

I'm glad I'm a pipemaker, a repair guy needs way too many buffs.
:wink:
RiverWader

Post by RiverWader »

I'm glad I'm a pipemaker, a repair guy needs way too many buffs.
And, they've got to be way cleaner than I'm even capable of. :D

-Pat