Show me your work shop

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
LatakiaLover

Re: Show me your work shop

Post by LatakiaLover »

Charl wrote:I'm glad I'm a pipemaker, a repair guy needs way too many buffs.
After a while all you want in life are pre-set work stations for common tasks. Coarse French Wheel, fine French wheel, hard wax wheel, soft wax wheel, nook-and-cranny wax wheel, dry wheel, post-stain residue remover, tenon fit tuner, and so forth. Just stepping up and flipping a switch without having to look for and mount/dismount the same wheels over and over all day long is a repairman's version of living on a tropical beach.

In fact, I do so many things with spinny shit that enhancing that capability was one of the recent upgrades I mentioned. After discovering the magic that's possible with a variable speed unit, I retrofitted a 3/4hp 3-phase motor that sweeps butter smooth from a dead stop to full speed using an analog dial control. Thinking back, I don't know how I managed without it:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Massis,
My apologies. Beautiful shop.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

When I was Gunsmithing, :thumbsup: That's the best " Baldor"
HLJ3

Post by HLJ3 »

oklahoma red wrote:
HLJ3 wrote:Here is a link to photos of my shop in progress and stages of construction and evolution of my slack belt sander that I designed and fabricated myself. It started out as 2"x100" with two Idlers, but wound up as 2"x72" with one idler/tracking wheel. Belt speed is 466 fpm.
I'm getting a PM1030V Lathe and a 2 jaw Chuck in the next couple of months, which will finish my shop equipment.
HL

http://imgur.com/a/eH5A3
Nice compact shop. Sander looks pretty neat too.
Thanks! The shop is 10' x 10'
sethile

Post by sethile »

Billy Klubb wrote:by chance are you a home brewer as well?
Yes, are you? Been playing with it for two years. So far I'm just doing extract and partial mash batches, but have a wonderful time with it, and all but the first batch have been drinkable. A few batches have been really good! To improve repeatability I need to put together a second keezer to control fermentation temps. And after that I'll work on getting tooled up for All Mash.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Massis

Post by Massis »

I finally got round to adding some new storage in my shop yesterday. 2 stacks of baskets for wood & acrylic, and a new rack to store all my other crap. At least this one has solid shelves instead of slatted ones like the last rack, which caused small stuff to constantly tumble downards...

downside: more storage = less space :-D , this is how big a stuffed 10m² shop is: