Shape of the dust extractor intake?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
W.Pastuch

Shape of the dust extractor intake?

Post by W.Pastuch »

I'm trying to improve the dust extraction setup in my shop.
One of the problems I have is that my shop vac doesn't really catch all the dust generated by the sanding disk. On my rough sanding setup I use a motor running at 2800rpm, which creates a lot of air movement and part of the dust gets blown away by that air current instead of getting sucked in by the dust extractor.
I have the dust extractor tube (100mm diameter) set just below the sanding disk, without any additional guard/intake. I had a cardboard guard but it was flimsy and didn't really help at all so I just got rid of it. The dust extractor itself runs a 1,5hp motor so I think it's powerful enough, I guess the setup is the problem.
Do any of you have a good solution for this? Is there a specific shape of the extractor intake/guard that would catch more dust? Or maybe it would be a good idea to make a reduction on the 100mm tubing that would make the airflow at the intake faster?
I'm sure someone has experimented with this- I appreciate all the advice you may have :)
caskwith

Re: Shape of the dust extractor intake?

Post by caskwith »

Check out my shaping video and you will see what I use, it works quite well but I am always trying to improve things.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Here is mine. It works great.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

andrew wrote: Here is mine. It works great.
I'd have to disagree, I see dust everywhere in your picture.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

You can create a bit of a hood for the high speed disk that is easily removable. This will help a little. Ultimately you would need more powerful dust collector to really get most of it.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

There is an old adage in the hot-rodding world: "there's no substitute for cubic inches".
In this case I would say that there is no substitute for CFM. I don't think you'll ever be happy with just a shop-vac.
Build as much shroud around the disc as possible without it getting in the way of shaping. Working different spots on the disc will shoot a dust stream in different directions so you've got to try to trap as much as you can. Hook it all up to as big a sucker as you stand. A jet engine intake would be perfect. :lol:
andrew

Post by andrew »

The dust was from before I had the hood. I'll use a lower resolution image next time ;)

The dust on the lamp is from hand sanding right next to the lamp.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Andrew, this board is really meant for people who have made a pipe in, say, the last, I dunno... YEAR or so, you know??
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

andrew wrote:The dust was from before I had the hood. I'll use a lower resolution image next time ;)

The dust on the lamp is from hand sanding right next to the lamp.

Ok I'll let you off then ;)
andrew

Post by andrew »

Sasquatch wrote:Andrew, this board is really meant for people who have made a pipe in, say, the last, I dunno... YEAR or so, you know??
You are a funny man. I'm hanging the last sheets of drywall today and tomorrow!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Premal is right. I went for three years with a shop vac. My shop was always full of dust. It never quite did the job. I spent about $250 and bought a real dust collector (that included odds and ends too). Less suction pressure, but way more volume than a shop vac. Much better for dust.
Charl

Post by Charl »

I've seen a lot of intakes that are made from some kind of PVC elbow. I haven't tried it myself, but thought that it should be a great idea.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I sand on my lathe and am going to make one of these. I actually need to do this soon.

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I have the same problems here with dust and only a shop vac. I have to drag my sanding wheel out on the porch of my shop to do any real sanding.
The lathe, buffers and hand sanding real cover the little 8x11 shop I have and every little bit of space is used so I'll have to go with some sort of
dust collector that I can set up outside the shop with some sort of housing and pipe it in. Any recommendations on what a poor bastard like me can do,
I'm afraid sooner or later it's going to kill the AC even after cleaning the filter every couple of days the fine dust gets through.
rdpipes.briar.club
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Could you get a Harbor Freight DC and then just build a cheap box around it and get a remote to turn it on and off?
www.ladybriar.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

scotties22 wrote:Could you get a Harbor Freight DC and then just build a cheap box around it and get a remote to turn it on and off?
Scottie, I reckon that's what I'm gona have to do. $210 (70 gal. 2hp unit) plus the cost of the duct work will set me back a bit but, i reckon it's better then having a shop inundated with dust. But after the cost of the shelter and duct work I'm probably look'en at $300 to $400 when done. Gees! why does everything I enjoy cost so dadburn much? :banghead:
rdpipes.briar.club
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

That's the same question my husband asks me pretty much every day!
www.ladybriar.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

scotties22 wrote:That's the same question my husband asks me pretty much every day!
Oh! He likes hookers too! :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Something like that :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

scotties22 wrote:I sand on my lathe and am going to make one of these. I actually need to do this soon.

What a worthless little micro lathe. Surprised he can turn anything on that tiny thing.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods