Really Cool Old Lathe

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Alden

Really Cool Old Lathe

Post by Alden »

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/5123463475.html

Found this listing for a 120 yr old metal lathe that is pedal powered. The Seat is attached to the lathe bed and slides left and right, wherever you need to work. There are several pedals to power it from wherever you're working. Pretty damn ingenious ! I wonder what kind of speeds you could get once it works its way through the gears.

W. F. & John Barnes
No. 5 11" Velocipede Metal Lathe
1880-1900

This lathe is presently in cosmoline, has never been rusted. Seat has break and missing a piece, other than that I believe this lathe complete with original paint and many of the original accessories. Flywheel and pedal mechanisms move- freely. Headstock needs cosmoline removed, cleaned and lubricated. Spindle does turn, not freely. Lead screws and all parts of compound slide operate freely.
Lathe can be seen at Paramount Antique Mall 13200 west hwy 54 (Kellogg), booth #270 in the shed.
Accessories with this machine:
7" 4 jaw chuck, 4" 3 jaw chuck, 2 lathe dogs, spur center for wood, center rest, seat post, wrenches and some miscellaneous, and 9 change gears plus gears already on machine.
Rarely found in this condition
And completeness
~~~$3500 firm~~~

Ocelot55

Re: Really Cool Old Lathe

Post by Ocelot55 »

Better pick that up as a back up lathe. You know when pipe making doesn't quite get the electric bill paid. Or you could incorporate it as part of a rigorous exercise regimen. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, that is a cool machine.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

There is a saying that it takes a lathe to make a lathe. One has to wonder what "patient zero" was.
Alden

Post by Alden »

oklahoma red wrote:There is a saying that it takes a lathe to make a lathe. One has to wonder what "patient zero" was.
Yeah ! This particular lathe fascinates me. Interesting how much *hasn't* changed since then. Most of the bits and pieces were already there that long ago.
You know when pipe making doesn't quite get the electric bill paid.
Hey, my thoughts exactly. I was thinking I could just cut off electric all winter and save money. Wood Stove and Candle Light. Too damn hot for that nonsense in summer though.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

oklahoma red wrote:There is a saying that it takes a lathe to make a lathe. One has to wonder what "patient zero" was.

Not quite, I think the saying is that a lathe is the only tool that can build itself.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Alden wrote: Yeah ! This particular lathe fascinates me. Interesting how much *hasn't* changed since then. Most of the bits and pieces were already there that long ago.
At the Science museum in London they have some very old lathes, the first real screw cutting lathes made around the turn of the 19th.C. They are in great condition and the exhibit allows you to really get a good look at them. When you do look you realise how clever the mechanisms are and how little they have changed even in the most modern (non-CNC) lathes. Give my Super 7, or a South Bend or an Atlas to an Machinist in 1800 and aside from the fact that ours run on an electric motor rather than a steam/water wheel belt drive they would have no problem understanding how it works and would be happily working away within minutes I am sure.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Yes. I need a machine that will make me feel more like a hamster on a hamster wheel.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Welcome to the industrial reveloution
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

yea.. but it is cool... you gotta admit that ;-)

james
Charl

Post by Charl »

Very cool, yes!
Now, if I can only direct my 5-year-old's energy into that lathe, I'll be sorted!
Alden

Post by Alden »

caskwith wrote:
Alden wrote: Yeah ! This particular lathe fascinates me. Interesting how much *hasn't* changed since then. Most of the bits and pieces were already there that long ago.
At the Science museum in London they have some very old lathes, the first real screw cutting lathes made around the turn of the 19th.C. They are in great condition and the exhibit allows you to really get a good look at them. When you do look you realise how clever the mechanisms are and how little they have changed even in the most modern (non-CNC) lathes. Give my Super 7, or a South Bend or an Atlas to an Machinist in 1800 and aside from the fact that ours run on an electric motor rather than a steam/water wheel belt drive they would have no problem understanding how it works and would be happily working away within minutes I am sure.

Sounds very cool ! Have to remember that if I'm ever in London.

I need a machine that will make me feel more like a hamster on a hamster wheel.
I was thinking once the whole thing gets spinning good, moving wrong could be a recipe for a mangled foot and broken ankle. I guess they were smart enough back then to not do that. Nowadays there would be the word DANGER on the side in 6 different languages and a drawing with a mangled leg wrapped around the pedals and a line drawn through it, warning you this was contraindicated in the user manual.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

The add would read, Wanted, Pedal dancer for Pipemaker, lunch supplied! :thumbsup: