Home made French wheel

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
WillAndersonpipes

Home made French wheel

Post by WillAndersonpipes »

Just made this a new French wheel with some plexiglass I picked up at the dump, just gotta add a wool backing and it should work pretty wellImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sandahlpipe

Re: Home made French wheel

Post by sandahlpipe »

Cool! I was actually just going to the forum to see if anyone else had made one. I had one that was made of aluminum and reworked it last night. How does this one work for you?
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
WillAndersonpipes

I haven't used yet I just made it but I'll let you know

WillAndersonpipes

Just used it it works really well this is going to take hours off my pipes

Charl

Post by Charl »

Nice one!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Looks good. Never managed to get on with a french wheel myself, the edges always seemed to catch. Tried making several types but don't use any of them.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

caskwith wrote:Looks good. Never managed to get on with a french wheel myself, the edges always seemed to catch. Tried making several types but don't use any of them.
I think it depends on how well you can fold the sandpaper on the wheel. I cut a kind of "sunshine pattern", with an inside circle equal to the diameter of the wheel and long triangular spokes coming out from that diameter. I then put some double sided tape on the back of the wheel and bend the spokes over the back- if you get the id right and the spokes are even you should be able to wrap the sandpaper without any big bumps on the edge.
It matters a lot how flat/convex is your disk. A disk that is almost flat is pretty easy to do, a very convex one is almost impossible (to me) to wrap evenly.
I think there is an old school technique of doing it by just folding the sandpaper around, without any complex cutting. I would love to see how that's done.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

W.Pastuch wrote:
caskwith wrote:Looks good. Never managed to get on with a french wheel myself, the edges always seemed to catch. Tried making several types but don't use any of them.
I think it depends on how well you can fold the sandpaper on the wheel. I cut a kind of "sunshine pattern", with an inside circle equal to the diameter of the wheel and long triangular spokes coming out from that diameter. I then put some double sided tape on the back of the wheel and bend the spokes over the back- if you get the id right and the spokes are even you should be able to wrap the sandpaper without any big bumps on the edge.
It matters a lot how flat/convex is your disk. A disk that is almost flat is pretty easy to do, a very convex one is almost impossible (to me) to wrap evenly.
I think there is an old school technique of doing it by just folding the sandpaper around, without any complex cutting. I would love to see how that's done.

Sounds like too much work for a lazy arse like me! lol
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

There is a technique for folding that works however it is very time consuming
And cramped hands at involved.Jeff Graciks paper for his wheels are laser cut like you described
Why bother folding this is far easier.
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
WillAndersonpipes

Do you guys use cloth backed paper? And if so where do you get flexible enough cloth sand paper

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

WillAndersonpipes wrote:Do you guys use cloth backed paper? And if so where do you get flexible enough cloth sand paper
Cover the back of a sheet of paper with this before cutting:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Prem ... stage+tape

Place carefully, edge to edge with no overlaps.

The paper will last damn near forever.

Do NOT expect good results with hardware store cheapie silver duct tape. It isn't the same stuff at all.
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
WillAndersonpipes

Hmm ok sweet I'll try that. I guess this just kind of reinforces the paper?

Thanks for the help