Supernova 2 help

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Charl

Supernova 2 help

Post by Charl »

I've had my Nova chuck for, geez, probably 8 eight years now. I use it primarily for stummels (with jaws that's been made according to my own specs) and for the odd facing of shanks (if my Myford is too small). With the latter I have no problems at all, as I remove the jaws and use the nova as is. Lately, however, I've found that when I do stummelwork, the amount of play in the jaws is getting way too much. When tightening, the jaws do not stay perpendicular, but "opens", making it a bit of a mission when working with blocks that are nicely squared.
Now, I know that I will need to upgrade to a dedicated 2 jaw at some stage, but over here in SA they are horrendously expensive. And then on top of all I will need to get two new jaws made to fit it. Out of my $$'s reach. The Nova, I know, is not the ultimate perfect stummel chuck. It works, is cheap, but that is it.
Anybody had any issue like this before? Throw away and buy a new one? Or is it possible to get the jaw slides and/or scroll ring replaced?
oklahoma red

Re: Supernova 2 help

Post by oklahoma red »

Sounds like you've simply worn it out. IF Nova services the components in the first place you would probably be better off buying another one new as the cost of the replacement parts will surely approach the cost of a whole new chuck. Replacement components for anything these days is outrageous. Before chucking it (pun intended) you might try some shims to compensate for the spreading.
Charl

Post by Charl »

That's what I thought, yes. Just too many years of hard work put through it.
But I thought I would take a chance and just try you guys.
Thanks for the reply!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

For the price they cost, I think in 8 years you probably got your moneys worth. I'd keep it for not so critical work and buy another, good for hopefully another 8 years, chuck. They jaws from yours should fit right on it too, which saves the purchase of more.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Charl

Post by Charl »

Yip, that's exactly what I think! Money well spent!
Btw, this past week I worked on a very wide stummel, a size that I don't normally use. The grip was much better, confirming my suspicion that it's only normal wear and tear.