pipemakersforum.com

The original forum for pipe makers on the web
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: chuck jaws
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:48 pm 

I was wondering if Someone who had poor vision like Myself had this happen. After turning the block I removed My Trent Rudant jaws and installed the regular jaws. I could not get the jaws to seat properly and tighten on the rod stock. After messing with it for about 15 minutes and thinking that something terrible had happened to My chuck, I finally realized the jaws were not in the proper order. If this has never happened to someone else then this is just a hypothetical question, Norm.

Post subject: Re: chuck jaws
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:01 pm 

this is kind of pipe related: when I was pipe welding I used a 3 jaw chuck for my roll out wheel. it was getting pretty dirty so I rolled the jaws all the way out and gave it a good clean & lube. when I put it back together, none of the jaws lined up. had me baffled but got it back right. but now it's got me thinking I can use my roll out at home to cut shape. hmmm...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:08 am 

notow1 wrote:
I was wondering if Someone who had poor vision like Myself had this happen. After turning the block I removed My Trent Rudant jaws and installed the regular jaws. I could not get the jaws to seat properly and tighten on the rod stock. After messing with it for about 15 minutes and thinking that something terrible had happened to My chuck, I finally realized the jaws were not in the proper order. If this has never happened to someone else then this is just a hypothetical question, Norm.

With bad vision you mean you missed the numbers that are engraved on your jaws and chuck? (at least they are on mine...)

Facebook: https://facebook.com/MassisPipes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:45 am 

Massis wrote:
notow1 wrote:

With bad vision you mean you missed the numbers that are engraved on your jaws and chuck? (at least they are on mine...)

Yeah, I think I had the # 2 and # 3 jaw mixed up. I just thought it was kind of funny, Norm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:40 am 

I had the same thing happen. I looked for but didn't see any numbering on the chuck or jaws. I did note that the teeth that engaged the scroll were different on each jaw and by arranging them in order was able to replace them after 1-2 tries.
DocAitch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:42 am 

I would be very surprised that there is no markings on the jaws, all of my (too many) chucks have number jaws.

I suggest that now you have them correctly orientated you mark them yourself for future reference. A rare but possible occurrence of getting the jaws mixed up is that the teeth can warp/snap off and make the chuck dangerous/useless.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:12 pm 

You will have problems not putting the jaws in the right order. I think most have had the problem, once at least! I would , as I have been forced to do, put numbers on the jaws that U can see!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:36 am 

:lol: I think most of us had that happen to us!