Bandsaws Blade

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Oscarsson

Bandsaws Blade

Post by Oscarsson »

Hello

What is the best blade for sawing briar?
Number of teeth pr inch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sandahlpipe

Re: Bandsaws Blade

Post by sandahlpipe »

You can use just about any blade for cutting out the pipe shape. I typically use between 1/4" and 3/8" The narrower the blade, the tighter curves you can cut. I don't personally find that TPI matters much for cutting briar blocks. Just make sure you take your time and let the saw do the work and any blade should do the job.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

1/4" 10tpi is my preference.
Oscarsson

Post by Oscarsson »

I just bought a bandsaw, a scheppach hbs300. A rather good quality I thought when I bought because it cost around 400£, nearly 500$. I bought it this week, but it turns out it is a 80 kg or 160 pounds of scrap. One of the guide bearings will not be thighten and the wheel where you thighten the blade cracked and fell apart and the guiding arm is made of soft aluminium. Thinking of returning and put on more money and buy a good one. Any brands you guys recommend?

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm not sure what's available where you are, but I just bought a 17" Grizzly bandsaw which is far more than is necessary for pipe work. I had an old 12" Craftsman bandsaw that I got used for $100 and it lasted me a solid 4 years of abuse. The blade guides were shot when I got it and I never bothered to try to replace them. I know at least a few pipe makers just use bench top bandsaws which work adequately. You really only need about 3-4" of clearance to cut a briar block.

What I've learned with tools though, is to buy one size bigger than you think you need. Somehow, I always find a way to use the full capacity of my tools, no matter how big they are.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

A small benchtop bandsaw is more than enough for cutting out pipe shapes and rod stock, only get something bigger if you have a use for it. I worked for years on a tiny little record bandsaw, working like a champ as long as you had a sharp blade. It was quiet, blades were cheap and it took up very little room and could be carried in one hand.

The only reason I upgraded was because I needed something for processing bog oak. Now I do love my big bandsaw (300mm width of cut and something like 220mm depth after modding), however it is noisier, blades are more expensive and I can only just move it about on my own, really it's a 2 man job. Also when cutting small stuff it is just plain terrifying at times since the motor is very powerful and in any fight you will lose badly!

Just some thoughts there.
Oscarsson

Post by Oscarsson »

Hmm. True. I have looked around and there a shop that sells these Record Bandsaws. And I found another one. A Makita lb1200f that looks good. On the Record Premium bandsaws I was thinking on the 250. Partly because of the price and size, but I am worrying about the quality of the flywheels and bearings. The Makita was bigger and have good reviews but the price is around 750£. The little Record 250 was 400£. Any experience with these two anyone?

caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Where are you based? You should be able to find a small bandsaw for a lot less than £400
Oscarsson

Bandsaws Blade

Post by Oscarsson »

Not here. I live Norway. Everything here is expensive. Let say that something cost 100£ and for the same item it would cost 200£ here in Norway. The Record Premium bandsaw cost 400£ because it is on sale. Normal price is 500£. In Great Britain it costs around 250£

I have found one that costs 210£. But from the reviews it seems like that it is a bad one

Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

For TPI, the general rule of thumb is to have enough teeth to have at least 4 teeth, preferably 6, in the wood or whatever you are cutting to get a smooth cut.

For typical briar blocks you could go as low as 4 TPI. If you're cutting rod stock and other thinner items as well you'd be better off with 10 TPI which should work well enough for briar as well. I wouldn't go much higher than 10 TPI or the gullets between the teeth will clog and start to burn through rather than cut.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Oscarsson wrote:Not here. I live Norway. Everything here is expensive.
Indeed. Yikes :shock:

https://sites.utexas.edu/culturescontex ... ing-wages/
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Any saw as long as it's American Steel :D
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Oscarsson wrote:Not here. I live Norway. Everything here is expensive.
Indeed. Yikes :shock:

https://sites.utexas.edu/culturescontex ... ing-wages/
If that article is correct then prices maybe be high, but wages are high too.

Not wanting to digress too much, but Oscar you mention the bandsaw prices are approx double that in the UK, can you give me an example of the average hourly wage for someone in Norway, doing an average job, say working in a supermarket or restaurant?
Oscarsson

Post by Oscarsson »

Yes. Nearly 20£ an hour minus the taxes so around 15-16£ is yours

mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I use 1/4", 10 tpi Wolf blades. They do everything related to pipe making really well and they last a good while.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Oscarsson wrote:Yes. Nearly 20£ an hour minus the taxes so around 15-16£ is yours

That explains then, someone here in a similar job would be lucky to earn 50% of that. Twice the wage, twice the price of goods.
Oscarsson

Bandsaws Blade

Post by Oscarsson »

Yes. That is the reason why I think is so cheap for Norwegians on many things in Great Britain. If I was living on average salary in England then it is probably as expensive as here in Norway

caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Would it be worth driving to the UK to buy tools? The potential 50% saving would likely more than pay for the trip.
Oscarsson

Post by Oscarsson »

Probably. But I found one that has 1/2 hp motor and is 10" model. But it is "cheap" 250£ with a stand. It is brand new. But the table is not cast iron, but just regulare steel. But the reviews are mixed. It has 3,5 of 5

caskwith

Post by caskwith »

My first 2 bandsaws had aluminium tables and they worked fine for cutting briar. On a small saw cast iron is not really needed.